Find the answer to your Linux question:
having replaced my old laptop with a gateway ml3108b and having no luck installing mint 13 or mandriva im looking for a distro that will let me burn dvds and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need a distro

having replaced my old laptop with a gateway ml3108b and having no luck installing mint 13 or mandriva im looking for a distro that will let me burn dvds and office.i know that the laptop is quite small spec wise but any suggestions welcome.

ML3108b Notebook Specifications
    Part Number: 1014494RGateway ML3108b Notebook
    Feature Description
    Processor AMD Sempron™ Processor 3400+
    1.8 GHz | 256 KB L2 Cache
    HyperTransport™ technology at up to 1600 MHz
    Screen 14.1-inch Widescreen Ultrabright™ TFT
    Chipset NVIDIA C51MV
    Memory 512 MB DDR2 667 MHz (1 x 512)
    Expandable to 2 GB
    Total slots: 2 DDR2 slots | Available slots: 1 DDR2 slot
    Video NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 6100
    Up to 256 MB Turbocache™
    Audio High definition 2-channel audio
    Hard drive 60-GB PATA hard drive (4200 RPM)
    Optical drive 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW with DVD-RAM
    Write maximum: 8X DVD +/-R, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-R DL, 2.4X DVD+R DL, 5X DVD-RAM, 24X CD-R and 16X CD-RW discs
    Read maximum: 8X DVD-R/RW/ROM, 4X DVD+/-R DL, 5X DVD-RAM, 24X CD-R/RW/ROM discs

Media reader 4-in-1 Digital Media Manager
    Memory Stick®
    Memory Stick Pro®
    Multimedia Card™
    Secure Digital™
    Modem 56K ITU V.92 ready fax/modem
    Network 10/100 Mbps built-in Ethernet
    Integrated 802.11g wireless LAN
    Interfaces
    3 - USB 2.0 ports
    1 - VGA external connector
    1 - RJ11
    1 - RJ45
    1 - Microphone In
    1 - Headphone/Audio Out
    Pointing device Touchpad with vertical scroll zone
    Expansion slot Expresscard™ Type 54
    Battery 6-cell Lithium-ion

Just Joined!
    I suppose it depends on your experience level.

If you're new to Linux, I'd recommend lubuntu.

Lubuntu is a version of Ubuntu that uses the LXDE desktop environment. It's a slimmed down version of Ubuntu, which is also the distribution upon which Mint is based. Lubuntu is much lighter than Mint or Ubuntu and will probably run well on your computer.

If you're an intermediate linux user, I'd recommend Crunchbang Linux.

Crunchbang is a variant on Debian. Instead of a full-featured desktop environment, it uses Openbox, which can be disconcerting for new users as you will likely spend more time at the command prompt. In exchange for that though, Crunchbang runs even lighter than Lubuntu.

So, long story short: if you want an easier time go with Lubuntu. If you want to squeeze out a bit more performance but to have more to deal with, then go with Crunchbang.

If by "running office" you mean "running Microsoft Office", then that would be the same on any Linux PC. You'd need Wine for that, and I'm not sure how MS Office is doing in Wine compatibility these days.

Either way, you can get the LibreOffice suite on your computer which replicates most of the functionality of MS Office for free.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the reply, as for office im used to linux office software, had ubuntu on main pc for years. thanks again, gonna look at your suggestions

You might also look at AntiX and LegacyOS, both available through distrowatch.com.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Since you seem to like Mint you might want to check out Mint LXDE which runs very nicely on older machines. I, like you tried to install Mint 13 and it didn't work at all, but LXDE worked with no problems.

Just Joined!
    This machine has enough resources to run Xubuntu very nicely or, if you want lean and mean, do a basic Debian net install and then pick just the apps you want to finish it off.