Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How do I change NVIDA graphics card drivers?

I believe I have installed the wrong NVIDA graphics card driver because I am having problems with some websites. I know how to put a driver in but I do not know how to take one out. Can anyone help me with that, please? Thanks!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

I don't know what base distro you're running. But, in everything .deb it's:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia
    After that there can be some minor differences; like if you installed a specific version (1.8.23456.756) as opposed to using the -current switch. So you can either determine your specific version with the "which" switch or just use a wildcard:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge nvidia*
    (You may need a "-" before the wild card "nvidia-*".) But, that will take about *everything* Nvidia; including the settings GUI and possibly some other stuff (like orphaned dependencies) just depending on what all you have on your system. To make sure that you're starting from a good clean install (if you have aptitude installed / I like it better than apt-get, it seems to do a better job resolving dependencies) then run:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove -f
    (You can run apt-get with the same switches.) I'd also run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    And I like to run bleachbit as root. Once you've cleaned out all the junk and resolved any dependency issues then you can use the Nvidia .deb that specifically supports your card or get the current driver from the repos with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    (You can also run this in aptitude, which I use whenever I can.) If your system gives you fits after you switch drivers then make sure that you're using x-server to render instead of OpenGL. (Sorry, don't know the code on that one. But I can tell you where it is in the KDE GUI.) If that doesn't clear up the issue then leave the GUI with Crtl+Alt+F3. Log in as user and run :
    Code:
    sudo- rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and
    Code:
    sudo- rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
    Then stop your DE / x-server. I.E.
    Code:
    sudo service kdm stop
    works for KDE, just substitue the right service for your DE. Then run:
    Code:
     Xorg -configure
    Then reboot from the console and back in to the GUI / DE with:
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    And, if you want the most up to date UB/Nv drivers then add:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    And run update before you install the new drivers.

You may also want to try the open source nouveau drivers, depending on what you're doing they can be better or worse than the proprietary drivers.

If that all of that doesn't straighten it out then you're stuck deeper down the rabbit than I've been so far.

Thanks Steve!! I went looking through my suse 10 nautilus files for it and when I clicked the proc folder my computer froze up and I had to unplug it. My external modem stopped working too so I sprung for a new DVD drive and installed suse 10 again. I think that the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7664-pkg1.run that I downloaded is the correct
    driver but I have not installed it yet. Any thoughts on that??
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I haven't played with Suse yet. And I'm still fairly noob myself. But, as I understand it, all of the underlying bits and pieces are mostly the same across the board in *nix. What changes is the programs used to interface with those bits and pieces. So in *UB/.deb it's "sudo apt-get" etc. In .rpm it's "yum" instead of apt-get. And it may or may not be sudo, depending on how your system is set up. I'm not sure what it is for suse. But the basic underlying principlas and switches should be the same.

Also, please note: As I have dug further down the rabbit hole in an attempt to correct my own Nvidia issues I have come across further info. The command to configure your x-server with the Nvidia driver is not
    Code:
    Xorg -configure
    as I stated above rather it is
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig
    The repos for updates I listed above were for *UB based distros, you probably shouldn't use them for suse. Hopefully you can find something similar in the suse repos.

Here is the man page for nvidia-xconfig.

I have also read in a couple of places that before trying to run nvidia-xconfig you should delete etc/X11/xorg.conf. Personally I think that you may want to change it to a back up file instead and then play with nvidia-xconfig. That way you'll have a backup of your x-server config handy if you blow things up (which I have done several times). Fortunately x is easy to fix. It is very "self-healing". And you can always go back to running on the iGPU if you're having issues with nvidia.

Here is the Xorg wiki to help you if you need to go back to onboard video while working on it.

In so far as what driver to use: You can go to Nvidia's website and verify that you have the right one for your card.

And I hope that this card does not have Optimus on it or you're in for a friggin nightmare.

Also, be advised: If you use virtualbox there is a known conflict between the version of VirtualGL that is used by Nvidia and the protocols used by VB. I am hoping that I will be able to fix that by getting a version that is newer than what is in the UB repos from source.