Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! I'm a new Linux user, I've used Ubuntu in the past, but only very little. The reason I have chosen Linux for an operating system is that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New user needs some advice

Hello everyone! I'm a new Linux user, I've used Ubuntu in the past, but only very little. The reason I have chosen Linux for an operating system is that I just don't want to deal with Windows anymore. I am a solid Apple user and have been for years, but I'm not against Linux by any means. I have taken the Linux test and the following are my top results.

Mandriva
    Linux Mint
    Open Suse
    Ubuntu

My needs are:
    Easy to use
    Access to easy to use programs
    Well tested

The main use of this computer will be as a home media PC for videos/movies/music.

Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I have been using Mint and I love it. Its based off Ubuntu so it should be easy for you to learn. Mine is mainly for movies and music. Also they have a very active IRC chan where the developers are there all the time. Its nice to be able to ask them or one of the many others for help if you need any.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
    I have been using Mint and I love it. Its based off Ubuntu so it should be easy for you to learn. Mine is mainly for movies and music. Also they have a very active IRC chan where the developers are there all the time. Its nice to be able to ask them or one of the many others for help if you need any.
    Thanks for the advice!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ubuntu is also very good.. easy to install and use

I used to swear by Ubuntu, but since the 12.04 release, I just swear at it. I have moved to Mint13 Mate edition, and am loving it.
    Registered Linux user #526930