Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Eldergeek
  • 1 Post By rokytnji
  • 1 Post By gruven
ok i am very annoyed with the Linux makers point 1: If I am using a live cd I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR permissions should be open point 2: I test ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation are you root

ok i am very annoyed with the Linux makers
    point 1: If I am using a live cd I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR
    permissions should be open
    point 2: I test any distro for functionallity BEFORE i insall
    NO SENSE INSTALLING SOMETHING THAT WON'T WORK
    point 3: root access is needed for complete testing
    blocking this is not user friendly
    makers say they crave newbies,this is the kind of thing
    that chases them away!

Hmmm, perhaps you need to take a step back. Linux is not Windwos - it's just not.

1. No. You should not have administrator privileges. You should only have administrator privileges when you _need_ them. The last thing you want, for example, is to visit some web site which has been infected by some malware which can then use your user privileges (i.e. root privileges) to run and therefore screw your system over (even if you're using a live CD, the root user will normally be able to mount and access your hard disk). The 'everyone is an admin' security role is what caused huge problems for Windwos 95, 98 and later, and wasn't resolved until Vista came along. And even then it was fixed badly.

2. Some distributions use the latest and greatest, some use stability. You may be using one of the former Live CD's (but you don't say wich one you're using) - and even then there is no guarantee that everything will work on every system configuration, there's a lot of variety out there.

3. See my point 1. Root privileges are NEVER needed unless you're doing admin stuff. Your user data is kept separate and accessible by you, in Linux applications are normally written to work within this framework. If you need root privileges for testing, then you might want to reconsider your approach. But then, you don't say what you're testing...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I agree with Roxoff all the way on this.

1) If I am a totally new Linux User with little to no knowledge of how the system works, then automatically giving me the authority of a System Admin (ie, Computer God) might be a strategic error. Nothing would turn me away from a new OS faster than using a LiveCD on a 'trial type basis' only to find that I accidentally hosed all of my important data.
    2) I can't really ad anything to that...
    3) What types of things are you testing that you need full access to all of your discs from a LiveCD? I typically use su or sudo when doing a bit of repair work, but that's not newbie type activity.

By the way, as a new Linux user, I loved the fact that I had to make a conscious choice to alter the system. It's what helped me decide to use Linux as a primary OS.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    What do you want to test beyond mouse, keyboard, sound and video? Even then, how hard is it to just use su or sudo su to get root access for whatever test you wish to run? In my experience, newbies are thrilled to be free of malware and virus paranoia.

If you just feel like complaining, gripe about the stupid auto-playing video commercial which causes these forum pages to load so annoyingly slowly.
    Honeyman likes this.

Honeyman likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

If you are using Linux the correct way, then there is NO REASON TO LOG IN TO THE GUI AS ROOT. There is nothing that can't be done by the command line as root. If you need to log in to the gui as root, you need to learn more about Linux. Logging into the gui as root is like using windows and clicking "Yes, please scan my computer mr. virus, so you can infect me and make it where I can't even use my computer!".

Sorry to be so blunt, but that is the way Linux is set up. If you don't like it, change it or use something else.
    jayd512 likes this.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    If you are using Linux the correct way, then there is NO REASON TO LOG IN TO THE GUI AS ROOT.
    I'm fully in agreement with gruven on this. In fact, the only time I log directly into the root account is for creating user accounts when setting up a newly installed system. Otherwise, a quick su to root from my user account has always accomplished anything needing to be done, even when working from the command line.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Agree with everything that has been said but I will add that the three most alien things when I started were:

1. Not being the administrator all the time
    2. How software is installed
    3. Where the heck was my C: drive!
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by agualust View Post
    ok i am very annoyed with the Linux makers
    point 1: If I am using a live cd I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR
    permissions should be open
    point 2: I test any distro for functionallity BEFORE i insall
    NO SENSE INSTALLING SOMETHING THAT WON'T WORK
    point 3: root access is needed for complete testing
    blocking this is not user friendly
    makers say they crave newbies,this is the kind of thing
    that chases them away!
    <soapbox>
    This is common case:
    I am new to something; therefore I know what it should do and how it should do it!

Something wrong there, and I hope that they never have to learn to ride a bike, car, truck, etc. It might not work as a new person would see fit and when they are in an accident, they will blame the bike/car/truck/etc or the road or what ever. One must learn first.
    </soapbox>