Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by cousinlucky I guess my suse 10 kernel is too old to have the needed cc. Read all the way through the link that Roky provided at Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I guess my suse 10 kernel is too old to have the needed cc.
    Read all the way through the link that Roky provided at Ubuntu Linux shutdown the X server - it shows both of the methods that people have described in this thread, but I'll go over it again for emphasis. IF you drop out of run level 5, which is multi-user graphical user interface mode to run level 3, multi-user non graphical user interface mode, or run level 1, single user mode, you should exit the GUI and the graphical driver. The messages above explain how to do both, and they are also noted in the link. Hope that is clear; if not, please share with us what is confusing and we can attempt to explain it further.
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com

I followed the steps and had to repeat them on line but there isn't any kernel available for my old suse 10 operating system. I should be getting a Linux Mint DVD in the mail next week and I'm sure that the graphics card will work with that.!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Just Joined!
    You mean telinit or init didn't work? I haven't tried Suse but wonders why if the commands won't work.

I also use Linux Mint, hope everything will work after you change distro.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Based on openSUSE 12.2 the commands are:

Stop the X server
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/telinit 3
    Restart the X server
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/telinit 5
    Although you can also use
    Code:
    su
    telinit 3
    These commands worked fine! After shutting down the x server I did the sh with the file and it ran.. I agreed to the license and had to do it again on line so the file could attach a kernel but none was available at their site because suse 10 has been out of date for a long time.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2