Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've completely deleted my hard drive with Dariks boot and nuke (it says it does that anyway) and I'm selling my laptop on Ebay, no one has bought it yet, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Do live Linux disk really leave no trace on any computer?

I've completely deleted my hard drive with Dariks boot and nuke (it says it does that anyway) and I'm selling my laptop on Ebay, no one has bought it yet, but I'd like to use a live Linux disk as it's more powerful than my older desktop. Do they really leave no trace?

I can't imagine how it would leave anything on the machine unless you mounted the drive for some reason or another. I think you are more than safe, in fact some banks recommend that you do your online banking via LiveCD or other "Live Media", because it leaves no traces for anyone to snoop on when you are done, provided that you reboot the machine of course.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Considering that you can use a LiveCD on a computer that doesn't even have a HDD.... I'd have to say you're safe.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Do live Linux disk really leave no trace on any computer?
    Depending on how particular you are, I believe there could be some data cached to RAM that might remain there until your computer is turned off, rebooted, or you've cleared any memory cache.
    oz