Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Originally Posted by steve_d i see. so then what exactly is keeping developers from releasing their software for linux as well? The developers themselves can better answer that question as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by steve_d View Post
    i see. so then what exactly is keeping developers from releasing their software for linux as well?
    The developers themselves can better answer that question as reasons may vary. You can usually communicate directly with developers through the various mailing lists where they hang out and communicate with each other, depending on the product that they are developing.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok everyone, thank you for your responses. Sorry for my rant at the begining.

Quick question. What do you use linux for?

I use linux to: browse the internet, play simple games (majongg, sudoku, etc), manipulate audio and video files, edit photos, spread sheets, word processing, send e-mails, burn cd/dvd's, and on rare occaisons, to watch a dvd movie.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quick question. What do you use linux for?
    Everything you use any other computer for. File sharing, Torrents, audio/video editing, Web, Email, Skype-like products.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    well im a mechanical engineering student, so i use a lot of 3d cad software, PLC programming software, CAM software, and then of course games. Steam have announced that they will start offering productive/creative software as well as games, and just announced that they will release steam for ubuntu. i will be downloading it and using it as much as i can, to do my part to encourage more developers to stats supporting linux.

well im a mechanical engineering student, so i use a lot of 3d cad software, PLC programming software, CAM software, and then of course games. Steam have announced that they will start offering productive/creative software as well as games, and just announced that they will release steam for ubuntu. i will be downloading it and using it as much as i can, to do my part to encourage more developers to stats supporting linux.
    Just and idea to keep in mind: Some developers allow donations, so if you notice someone is trying to port your favorite program to Linux, it might be a good idea to donate to the cause.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    yes agreed.

What do you use linux for?
    Everything: servers, both critical and non-critical; workstations; the firmware on my router; the laptop I use for network diagnostics.

Specifically on my personal computer I use it to browse the web, watch Youtube, download torrents, watch video files and sometimes DVDs, video chat with people, read my email, do some programming and scripting. What more could you need?

Basically I use it where and when I can because there's simply no substitute for the power it provides.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2