Find the answer to your Linux question:
I couldn't find this on the website but it's in today's hardcopy edition. It's about all the data we generate and how big business uses it to track our every ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Interesting article in the New Scientist

I couldn't find this on the website but it's in today's hardcopy edition. It's about all the data we generate and how big business uses it to track our every move. And also what we can do about it.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I couldn't find this on the website but it's in today's hardcopy edition. It's about all the data we generate and how big business uses it to track our every move. And also what we can do about it.
    Ah! Big Data + Analytics == user tracking! Hazel, it is all about $$ (or in your case). We use it to present suitable ads and articles of interest to our users, who are spread out all over the globe. We can make huge amounts of income from this, but to do so requires that we can predict what the user will want from their browsing habits, location, searches, etc. We have teams of PhD mathematicians who develop the analytical tools required to make this effective.

There certainly are ethical concerns about this sort of stuff, and it is something that we debate heatedly on a regular basis - how to utilize our intimate knowledge of our users' habits to make $$, yet protect their privacy, etc. Right now, data encryption is a big issue for us - end-point vs. end-to-end encryption. Then there is removal of information that can be tracked back to a specific individual. These are not simple issues, and many of us are rightly concerned about the impact of this stuff if we don't do it correctly. Unfortunately, it is NOT a black&white scenario, but rather one of (to paraphrase a popular novel of the day) 50 shades of gray...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!