Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I would like to get into programming and development in linux. My intentions are to write programs that are able to run terminal commands in the background through a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The best programming language to my needs..

Hello. I would like to get into programming and development in linux. My intentions are to write programs that are able to run terminal commands in the background through a graphic interface. I have noticed, there is allot of use in phyton so would like to ask which programming language is recommended for this goal. If it is too general please let me know and I will be more specific.

Thank you.

The "native language" of Linux is C so most people program either in C or C++. Python is a possible alternative - some apps and package management tools are written entirely in Python. In any case, if you want to create graphical applications, you will need to learn how to use a widget library: either gtk or qt. I think gtk is the more generally used outside the KDE world. It's written in C but there are Python bindings for it.

Good luck!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!

Thank you for the great reply

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    The "native language" of Linux is C so most people program either in C or C++. Python is a possible alternative - some apps and package management tools are written entirely in Python. In any case, if you want to create graphical applications, you will need to learn how to use a widget library: either gtk or qt. I think gtk is the more generally used outside the KDE world. It's written in C but there are Python bindings for it.

Good luck!
    exactly what i looked for, clear and informative.