Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello. I'm new to Linux. I bought a Toshiba laptop at a yard sale and now Windows says it's an invalid copy. Window's is too expensive to buy for me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile New Introduction

Hello. I'm new to Linux. I bought a Toshiba laptop at a yard sale and now Windows says it's an invalid copy. Window's is too expensive to buy for me so I am here.

I have a netgear, wired router program for the internet (which I don't understand yet) and will eventually get a wireless router (and a newer computer but that's a ways off). I have been using (and love) Open Office and Firefox in windows for years. I used Ubuntu a little bit over 10 years ago.

Any suggestions are most welcome as I largely know enough to cause trouble and not enough to stay out of it. I would really like to make a permanent switch to Linux!

(My g's and t's stick so I apologise ahead for any misspellings.)

Nice to meet you all!

Hello and Welcome.
    Ubuntu is still a good place to start unless you just want something more suitable to your needs. I suggest the distro quiz.
    zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I bought a Toshiba laptop
    Howdy and Welcome from West Tx Desert. Might be beneficial to post the model number of said laptop and specs also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Sugested OpenSUSE

Thanks! I've been reading in the new to linux forums and did take the quiz. It suggested OpenSUSE. I'mondering if I should dual boot with windows or start fresh with Linux? I end up fixing windows (due to no windows support) probably as much as I would be figurin out a new platform. :/

I'm in the Arizona desert. Looking for model number...what kind of specs?

...model # (I think) TECRA A2-S336

version 1.2
    1.5 Ghz processor
    512 MB ram
    27.95 GB hard drive
    Last edited by Jackrabbit; 09-05-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added info

Found my windows sticker number. Some non-thinker stuck it on the bottom so the numbers are unreadable, lol. I would switch to Linux anyway. As new as I was years ago, I still remember and like it.

welcome to the site. I did dual booting for the first few months then I made the fill switch to Linux only. I still have windows xp in a VM so I can login to work when needed but that's about it.

1.5 Ghz processor
    512 MB ram
    27.95 GB hard drive
    In my experience with Linux. 512MB of ram is a show stopper for heavy Desktop Environments Like the new KDE 4.9 and Unity Desktops. Everything else looks OK for specs though.

Since this is your first foray into stepping out into the desert sands of Linux. I might suggest trying Lubuntu 12.04LTS

Me being partial. I run AntiX on all my 512MB ram laptops.

Be sure and make a 1 gig /swap partition also using gparted before running any graphical installer. Good luck with it.

Edit:
    I'mondering if I should dual boot with windows or start fresh with Linux? I end up fixing windows (due to no windows support) probably as much as I would be figurin out a new platform. :/
    Up to you on that but it will be a tight squeeze fit on a 27.95 GB hard drive. Give Linux at least 10 gigs of that. 9 for root (/). 1 for /swap.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Think I'll muddle through AntiX and forget Windows. I'll see if I can figure out gparted. I've done it before but don't remember. First I have to figure out how to get the distro on my system with no burner or flash drive.

Question: If I install antix and completely overwrite windows will I be able to get on the internet for further help?
    Last edited by Jackrabbit; 09-05-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Moved to the newbie section

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast