Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by jayd512 I've been considering going for a cert as well. So adding to what gruven said, you may want to also get familiar with Slackware. Being ready ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I've been considering going for a cert as well.
    So adding to what gruven said, you may want to also get familiar with Slackware. Being ready to handle a tarball for software installation will be handy no matter what distro you use.
    And yes... I am more than aware that Slack doesn't always rely on tar installs.
    I've played around with Slax, never in depth however. Thank you for the advice.

Linux Engineer
    You need to talk to that department and find out more information about this:
    EMCC is the only Red Hat Academy in Arizona! Demand for certified Linux professionals is surging in the United States. To meet this demand, EMCC and Red Hat have teamed up to offer the Red Hat Academy. The Red Hat Academy offers performance-based training for Linux and open source technology. Through the Red Hat Academy, EMCC provides Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) and Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) Training and Certification opportunities.
    RHCE courses through Red Hat cost a fortune. If you can take them for credit at community college, this is where I'd spend my money.
    If you come away RHCE certified, you won't have any trouble finding a job working with Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    If you come away RHCE certified, you won't have any trouble finding a job working with Linux.
    Very true... unless the company happens to use SLED, for example.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I was looking at these books:

Linux pocket guide, 2nd edition (200+ pages)

Linux in a nutshell, 6th edition (900+ pages)

I figured both would be great to have, one I can study from and the other I can reference from, is this a good idea?

A good idea would be to study any guide you can get, online or hard-copy.
    Also, use Linux for of your all day to day activities.
    Gain familiarity with experience.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Very true... unless the company happens to use SLED, for example.
    Having a RHCE would still get you the job, as that means that you have an understanding of administering linux. The Red Hat certification is no easy process, and most companies know this.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    Having a RHCE would still get you the job, as that means that you have an understanding of administering linux. The Red Hat certification is no easy process, and most companies know this.
    And unlike many other certifications it isn't multiple choice. You actually have to carry out the specified tasks (and apparently with no Google!). This means you have know and understand what you are doing.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2