Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
On the plus side, I have been given "broken" gear in the past. Maybe I'll get a computer out of this deal, as well as a new one for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

On the plus side, I have been given "broken" gear in the past. Maybe I'll get a computer out of this deal, as well as a new one for the office. On the down side, after playing with it and running my linux live disk all night, I just tried windows again and it appears to be working now. Ain't linux awesome!
    Registered Linux user #526930

In the business world yes, but you forget, I work for a county government in a small rural area. Heck, we just got rid of counter checks in the last 10 years. The county treasurer refuses to do direct deposit of paychecks, says it is too complicated and costs too much. In any government agency there is inertia and backward thinking. We also have to overcome distrust of outsiders and an inherent trust of anyone born here.

Just Joined!

Windows recovery

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    In the business world yes, but you forget, I work for a county government in a small rural area. Heck, we just got rid of counter checks in the last 10 years. The county treasurer refuses to do direct deposit of paychecks, says it is too complicated and costs too much. In any government agency there is inertia and backward thinking. We also have to overcome distrust of outsiders and an inherent trust of anyone born here.
    Your tale of woo is very similar to a lot on the internet.

Using your Linux OS of choice copy all your documents and the User folder to CD/DVD of USB flash drive. You could also copy all the Downloaded files if you have downloaded anything you have liked and want to save. You can also save your Apps Data.

First there are many copies of XP out there that you can download and burn to CD/DVD, so there is no reason not to have an install disc of an old OS that is available.

Second while booting up your Windows system if you press F8 you will be taken to a recovery screen. One of the options on the screen is Last Know Good Configuration, try it.

Third, do a Google search for Windows XP system recovery. Look at the results and try some of them.

I have found that Microsoft has many good tips on recovery processes and even have programs to check and replace bad Windows files for your configuration.

Don't through in the towel yet. It is an easy excuse to support people to say "you have a virus"...... Download Avast Free from the internet, they have a stand-alone version that can be put on a USB flash and run stand-alone on any system that can boot from USB. Their virus checker is very good and keeps my system clean while browsing the internet at suspect website that try to copy, steal, use malware or load garbage into my systems.

You may not like the power that Google as obtained in the industry but it has found things for me that ASK, Bing, Yahoo and others have not found.

I say if it works use it...... I hope this opens your mind to new ideas that you as a user can use to fix minor or even major problems in your computer.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ffollow up: Since I used my linux disk and system rescue on the "dead" computer, it has been working fine. The sheriff is pleased we don't have to buy a new computer, and maybe he will think twice about calling our local expert next time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2