Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A small lightweight linux core

Does anyone know how to create (from scratch) the most basic linux system using the most contemporary packages e.g. sysvinit, bash, coreutils, etc? I've checked out linux from scratch and other tutorials like that and want to find something/someone outside of the former who can demonstrate, explicitly, how to get a small system up and running. i'm having problems doing this. I've gotten pretty close, yet no cigar.

Basically, any true linux engineers out there that knows the ins and outs of the linux system. I need your assistance, and have a few questions.

Thanks for any assistance.

Just Joined!
    Try OpenSUSE, then register on build derivetives. Many small Linuxs there and also of course the best is "PUPPY" linux.
    Last edited by eionmac; 09-09-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Just Joined!
    I appreciate that, but I'm trying to build my own small system, a server, in fact. I don't really want to use someone else's distro.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Then lfs is the best guide you will find.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    In my above message, I mentioned that I'm not interested in linux from scratch. I also mentioned that I was hoping to get a reply from someone with experience in that area. I'm not trying to be referred to text material. I was hoping I would encounter someone who has done what I'm seeking to do.

Thank for the assistance though

Well, I did a lfs years ago.
    The learning experience was certainly worth it, but a lot has changed since then.

Imho, learning would also be the main purpose of building a system that way.
    For a production server, one of the established distributions is preferable due to proven concepts, support, documentation, etc.

What exactly are you expecting from the forum users here?
    Specific questions will help.
    Guiding through a complete install, from remote and via a forum: Not possible.

Just Joined!
    I don't expect much from the forum users, I merely want to ask specific questions to a LINUX ENGINEER, and not someone who knows just as much as me. As for specifics, I will ask that individual questions when I encounter him/her.

Ok. Good luck.