Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a Linux Hatchling, and am just starting to learn this thing called Linux. I had problems loading Puppy 5.3, and even the latest and greatest Linux Mint 13 Maya ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Puppy 5.3 install on an early 1ghz AMD MicronPC

I'm a Linux Hatchling, and am just starting to learn this thing called Linux. I had problems loading Puppy 5.3, and even the latest and greatest Linux Mint 13 Maya onto this box over the past few weeks. I'm happy to report that I have succeded in installing Wary Puppy 5.3 on this 12 year old box, and am typing to you now from it with my findings.

(Sorry about the typo's, don't have my office package yet)

I found that this Micron PC Millennia XP with the Athlon 1ghz processor was first introduced back in November 2000. This was a great machine for its day that included 4 USB ports. The motherboard is made by Aurura with 6 PCI slots, and can handle up to 2GB ram. It came with a CD/RW, CD/DVD, and a standard floppy. It also has room for two Hard Drives.
    I have an nvidia tnt 2 video card, and a 40gb hard drive with 1gb of kingston ram and a standard 3 com NIC with a Creative SB Live! Sound card.

My intent was to eleminate the Wind XP that was so contanminated, and make this a stand alone Linux OS machine that I can learn on. I found Puppy can be loaded directly to the RAM via Live CD, and I could re- partition the hard drive easily- which it did!

The problems I had with just beginning with Linux, was I knew not what I was doing, (and still don't), nor was/ is there a concise "How To" manual easily available. Basically, you have to hunt and ask- research and try.
    For anyone getting into Linux, this is not for the faint of heart. If you want pretty pictures, neon lights, silicon breasts or botox- Linux is not for the bubblegum instant gratification crowd. However, if you don't mind "thinking", and putting forth effort, the reward is amazing! Freedom is something to fight for, and once had, fight to maintain.

Problems:

1) The problem I found is that ancient USB support that I have for my Aurora mother board does not work for the input/ output devices. Even their BIOS library never resolved this issue.

Solution: Went to thrift store and bought a couple of the best looking PS/2 Keyboards they had for $3.99 each.

Solved

2) I learned the hard way for Wary Puppy, /boot and /root need only be in one partition. The source of this info is from the creator of Puppy, on the wary puppy forum board. (I can't explain why just yet)

Solution: I made my first partition sda1 as ext2 and left 2 mib in the front end for Grub to use. The partition size I made at 5gb.
    (I know this may seem large for most, however, I wanted there to be enough room in this partition in case of things I don't know about)

The next partition I made was sda2, as an Extended partition for my future logical drives to go. No logicals established just yet.

My next partition established is called sda3, in ext3 which is the /home partition. I think this is where all the back end programs reside for now. Things like Adobe, office libre, etc...

The final partition is my Swap partition. sda4 needs to be set as linux-swap, and I set mine to 2gb in size. My ram is 1gb, and there seems to be many opinions about how big Swap should be.

Now that I had my partitions created, I left my live CD in the drive and powered down the machine without saving.

Install Process

1) Power up the machine

2) As soon as the Puppy logo appears, press F2

3) at the command line enter
    puppy pfix=ram

Puppy will load into RAM only.

4) go through the selection screens for language, time, and video

5) once puppy is loaded, your available partitions will appear, as well as your CD.

6) right click on your CD icon, and select 'Run pmount puppy drive mounter.

7) select the CD drive with your disk thats in it.

Now, go to Menu--> Setup --> Puppy Universal Installer.

9) Select sda1 --> Full

10) After the install, go to Menu --> System --> Grub Legacy Bootloader Config

11) Select 'Simple' --> Standard --> type in '/dev/sda1'

12) Destination = MBR

13) Unmount all partitions

14) Menu --> power off

15) Yellow screens will pop up now.

16) Save to file --> Administrator --> Continue --> sda1 --> Max Storage --> Default (warysave.2fs) --> Normal --> 512mb --> Yes, Save

17) Finally, Copy .sfs from CD

1 Machine will power down now.

19) power up and remove cd from tray quickly.

20) Grub should come up with a blue selection screen

21) Select Linux on sda1

22) go through selection stuff again (Language, time, video)

23) Vual- La! This should do it!

This worked for my machine. I'm finding that there are sometimes twiks, and stuff that have to be made depending on your specific hardware. Like for mine, using a USB thumb drive, USB keyboard or USB Mouse doesn't work for boot up.

USDragoon

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Glad you got your installation sorted out. Hopefully you are having a fun and productive time with your "puppy"... Hopefully, your next post won't take so long for one of us to respond!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Congrats and nice tutorial. If ya wanna boot usb. Look into PLOP . It will boot usb when bios can't handle it.

My Puppy
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...tml#post917403

Code:
    sh-4.1# cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    kktimeout 10
    color cyan/blue white/blue
    foreground ffffff
    background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.34-stevo
    root		(hd0,5)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-stevo root=UUID=33d2cb14-08cc-4db8-80c6-771828e68200 ro 
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.34-stevo

title Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional at hda1
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

title Puppy Linux 520 full install in sda7
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda7 pmedia=atahd pfix=noram acpi=force

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    ## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
    ## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
    ## default kernel options
    ## default kernel options for automagic boot options
    ## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
    ## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
    ## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
    ##      kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
    ##      kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
    # kopt=root=UUID=33d2cb14-08cc-4db8-80c6-771828e68200 ro

## default grub root device
    ## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
    # groot=(hd0,5)

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
    ## e.g. alternative=true
    ##      alternative=false
    # alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
    ## e.g. lockalternative=true
    ##      lockalternative=false
    # lockalternative=false

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
    ## alternatives
    ## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
    # defoptions=

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
    ## e.g. lockold=false
    ##      lockold=true
    # lockold=false

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
    # xenhopt=

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
    # xenkopt=console=tty0

## altoption boot targets option
    ## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
    ## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
    ##      altoptions=(single-user) single
    # altoptions=(single-user mode) single

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
    ## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
    ## alternative kernel options
    ## e.g. howmany=all
    ##      howmany=7
    # howmany=all

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
    ## e.g. memtest86=true
    ##      memtest86=false
    # memtest86=true

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
    ## can be true or false
    # updatedefaultentry=false

## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
    ## can be true or false
    # savedefault=false

## ## End Default Options ##

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    sh-4.1# inxi -F -z
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 2.6.33.2 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM sn-493 Distro: unknown
    Machine:   System: IBM (portable) product: 26474MU
               Mobo: IBM model: 26474MU Bios: IBM version: 1AET64WW (1.20 ) date: 10/18/2006
    CPU:       Single core Mobile Intel Pentium III CPU - M (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (pae sse) clocked at 1198.820 MHz 
    Graphics:  Card: S3 SuperSavage IX/C SDR 
               X.org: 1.7.6 drivers: savage (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
    Audio:     Card: Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver: Intel ICH Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.21
    Network:   Card-1: Intel 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller driver: e100 
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-2: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci 
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST980815A size: 80.0GB 
    Partition: ID: / size: 14G used: 2.9G (22%) fs: ext3 ID: swap-1 size: 1.04GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
    RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: 51.0C 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A fan-1: 4813 
    Info:      Processes: 86 Uptime: 13 min Memory: 189.5/1010.2MB Client: Shell (sh) inxi: 1.8.45
    This is a full install vs a frugal install like you did. No save file on this one. I have a frugal MacPup 529 though on a quad booting
    Vector Linux 7,AntiX 12, Semplice dual hard drive old IBM M41 Desktop that runs wireless and is a play toy for the bikers
    that come by my shop and is also a media center. Have fun learning Puppy. I broke my linux cherry on Puppy Linux.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close