Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was checking the Adobe web site to see if I had the latest version. As I was looking at // www dot adobe dot com/software/flash/about (blanks and words inserted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is Adobe dropping Flash development for Linux?

I was checking the Adobe web site to see if I had the latest version. As I was looking at
    // www dot adobe dot com/software/flash/about
    (blanks and words inserted to allow posting of a link)
    I see the message that

Flash Player 11.2 is the last supported Flash Player version for Linux. Adobe will continue to provide security updates.

There are versions 11.4 for Mac and windows.

Is Adobe trying to force us to go back to windows?

Is anyone else concerned about this issue?

Known, and no. Not concerned.
    It is about time flash is giving way for a more open standard, in this case html5.
    e.g. Youtube already had a beta phase, where it didnt require flash anymore.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    We don" need flash anymore.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I don't understand. My wife plays some Facebook games that are Flash based. How does she play them if there is no flash player? Does the game vendor have to change something? Do I disable flash plugin and enable html5? Is there a replacement for Adobe Flash? Does Facebook need to change? Thanks for any help here.

The difference between 11.2 and 11.4 is marginal and hardly something to start screaming about. If the others were 2 major versions ahead I would understand the worry, but it's not. Flash releases have been fairly consistent with GNU/Linux.

Flash is also being dropped for Android, and I'm not sure that its status is secure on iOS either. The problem is that Adobe cannot keep up with the multiple platforms, and is really struggling to make it all work bug free and securely.

In my opinion they're going to kill themselves.

They have the widest supported platform for multimedia content in the world - but because they have chosen not to support strategic platforms going forward, they'll be dropped like a hot potato - the BBC's iPlayer is already moving off their platform. And they'll never recover. If there was no alternative to Flash then perhaps their strategy could have some success, allowing them to maintain support for certain platforms and keeping their nose ahead. But HTML5 can be used to replace it, and as it's expensive to buy Adobe's developer tools, and because it will not be available for the major platforms when people decide how to put together their new content, they'll just be ignored.

If flash isn't available on both mainstream PCs and mainstream portable devices, it will wither and die.

Still, their loss is our gain. Three cheers for HTML5. Hip hip..
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Well, I see a lot of stuff on here. I'm not convinced that we will be ok without flash. Not everything is gonna switch to html5. Is flash really that difficult of a program to create? I don't really know so I am asking. With all the amazing stuff Linux programmers have created, why doesn't someone just make a flash works?

Linux Engineer
    Just run google chrome. Comes with flash player packed in.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Just run google chrome. Comes with flash player packed in.
    I already do. Flash runs fine now, but I'm more concerned about the future. I see a lot of crap that Microsoft is doing in an attempt to shut out Linux. Secure boot PC's for example and Silverlight. While there are ways of using Silverlight such as the custom Linux app for Netflix, I'm still concerned.

What about gnash?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com