Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Tanks oz. I think Red Hat is using syslinux these days. Anyway, it is worth looking into for my own education if nothing else....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

Tanks oz. I think Red Hat is using syslinux these days. Anyway, it is worth looking into for my own education if nothing else.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

oz
    forum.guy
    I've played around with LILO a bit over the last few days and it works fine, but it actually feels a little slower at booting my boxes than any of the other bootloaders. Syslinux feels to be the second slowest, and GRUB2 comes next in line, with the older GRUB-Legacy feeling the fastest of the bunch. I'd have thought that LILO would be pretty quick booter since it's considered to be a real lightweight contender. Either way, I'll play around with these a little more, then make a final decision as to which I'll be sticking with.
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My personal preference is grub-legacy. It's fast, simple, and keeps out of your way! Grub-2 is a serious PITA and difficult to manage. Even my wife, who is a serious Linux engineer, tears her hair out when she has to deal with grub-2... Lilo is, in my opinion, too outdated. Personally, I'd like to see grub-legacy updated to handle new partition tables and bios formats (UEFI). That would make my day! If I had the time, I'd consider doing that myself. Unfortunately, my current work as senior systems/performance engineer at Nokia Mobile Phones takes too much of my time to deal with that. At least we mostly run RedHat Enterprise 5.x and 6.x (servers and workstations), both of which run grub-legacy.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Personally, I'd like to see grub-legacy updated to handle new partition tables and bios formats (UEFI). That would make my day!
    It's my understanding that Fedora's own patched version of GRUB-Legacy will do all that, but even they intend to drop any development or support for it in the near future:

Managing EFI Boot Loaders for Linux: Using GRUB Legacy

If you should end up doing a GRUB-Legacy fork project, you'd probably have a lot of followers, including myself.

Hmm, I can see it now... the GRUBberman Bootloader, because it's flexible!
    elija and Rubberman like this.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    It's my understanding that Fedora's own patched version of GRUB-Legacy will do all that, but even they intend to drop any development or support for it in the near future:

Managing EFI Boot Loaders for Linux: Using GRUB Legacy

If you should end up doing a GRUB-Legacy fork project, you'd probably have a lot of followers, including myself.

Hmm, I can see it now... the GRUBberman Bootloader, because it's flexible!
    ROFLMAO! Thanks for the "compliment" Oz! It's not a bad idea, though...

FWIW, I have had experience writing boot loaders, but the last time was in the mid-1980's. It's quite amazing what you can do in 512-sizeof(partitiontable) bytes of x86 assembly code!

I'm still using GRUB-legacy, they will have to pry it out of my cold dead keyboard.?! I too have tinkered wit GRUB2 for all of about 10 minutes and decided to stick with what I know. I'll switch eventually to GRUB2 no doubt.....when Gentoo says it's no longer available through portage. Although I do like some of the LiveCD boot screens as mentioned by Oz. I might have to look into that. It's what Parted Magic uses for sure.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I do like some of the LiveCD boot screens as mentioned by Oz. I might have to look into that. It's what Parted Magic uses for sure.
    Yeah, Syslinux is definitely a worthy contender for a modern bootloader. It looks good, it's easy to install and configure, and it continues to be developed whereas GRUB-Legacy development has halted. I'd certainly stick with Legacy for now if they hadn't stopped developing it.

In the interim, I'm still playing around with the alternatives to GRUB-Legacy and currently using LILO on one box, Syslinux on another, and GRUB2 on all my other machines. Each of them is working fine and not giving me any problems, but they all have their good and bad points. It's interesting to me that the introduction of GRUB2 has caused many users (including myself) to take a look at alternative options.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Okay, after having experimented with various bootloaders over the last few weeks, I've decided to stick with GRUB2, at least for now. It's working just fine, it's not too difficult to configure, and it currently seems to be regarded as the predominant bootloader for Linux distributions. Note that I'm still not as fond of it as I was the previous version of GRUB, but it's time to move on since GRUB-Legacy appears doomed to become nothing more than history.

Good luck to all of you with whatever you choose for your bootloader!
    oz

I'll soon be moving on to GRUB2 also, not willingly but as you mentioned Oz, It's going out of circulation. I know I was so glad to go from LILO to GRUB, I thought that was a huge change. Ah well, time for more changes.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2