Find the answer to your Linux question:
Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mageia...good distros, but neither one combines 3 esential things : functionallity, Beauty and speed. I am asking GNU/Linux gurus to help me. For you, which are good ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Top non-popular linux distros?

Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mageia...good distros, but neither one combines 3 esential things : functionallity, Beauty and speed.

I am asking GNU/Linux gurus to help me. For you, which are good lightweight, beautifull and speedy distros?

I think Bodhi Linux is a good option. Amazing fast, easy to use, and shockingly beautifull. I tried it from LiveCD and I had never seen that kind of speed and fast boot.

Cons? Some people say bodhi is a hard-ass to configure distro, and that Enlightement 17 is not yet polished enought. So i'm scared a little.

My laptop is not an older one. it has...around..1 year/half -2 years and it can run any DE and distro...but I certanly like speed. That's why I want a lightweight distro, with good hardware compatibility.

While it's not exactly a desktop OS, I use parted magic a lot of reasons. For troubleshooting, diagnostics and many other things it's the best in my opinion. With that said, there is no reason it cannot be used as a desktop OS. It's super fast (Run in RAM), lightweight and it's not ugly.
    Cons: It's a "Live" environment and everything that comes with running LiveCD's, Limited installation methods. No updates, you just download the newest version.

I'm sure to be leaving some things out but this is just meant to be a quick answer and not an in-depth study.

start
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 09-18-2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: typo
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Have you considered trying one of the distros that does limited hand-holding?
    Slackware, Arch, CRUX Gentoo and Debian all come to mind.
    You have a high degree of control in what goes into the system, so you decide on how light or heavy the OS turns out.
    Of those, I've used CRUX and Slack. Both are stable, easy on resources and extremely responsive.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Arch and Gentoo are for GNU/Linux Pro users . I am 16 years old and have been using GNU/Linux for only 2-3 months... so... I want something more easy, minimalistic, not bloated and beautiful (ex : PinguyOS , a bloated Horror), and fast. As I said, the distros I have tried does not have those requisits.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but tha's how I am. I like PERFECTION.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but tha's how I am. I like PERFECTION.
    Perfection, like Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Code:
    $ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.0) 
               Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-full Edelwei▀piraten 22 August 2012
    Machine:   System: IBM product: 679421U
               Mobo: IBM model: IBM Bios: IBM version: 20KT46AUS date: 06/04/2004
    CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-UP-) cache: 256 KB flags: (sse sse2) bmips: 3588.24 clocked at 1794.120 MHz 
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
               X.Org: 1.12.3 drivers: vesa,nouveau (unloaded: fbdev) Resolution: 1024x768@0.0hz 
               GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
    Audio:     Card: Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 1c00 1840 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
    Network:   Card: Intel 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller driver: e100 ver: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:08.0
               IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 100.1GB (4.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_SV6003H size: 60.1GB 
               2: id: /dev/sdb model: IC35L040AVVA07 size: 40.0GB 
    Partition: ID: / size: 25G used: 4.6G (20%) fs: ext3 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 30.0C mobo: N/A 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 80 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 241.4/1135.4MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.15 
    harry@biker:~
    $ cat /etc/issue
    Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid \n \l
    Nuff Said.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 09-18-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Distrowatch.com has a search function that can help you discover distro's you might otherwise overlook. While fast isn't one of the search criteria, the different DE's, and base distro's are, so if you know you like ubuntu based distro's and the mate desktop, you can search for distro's that are based on ubuntu and use the mate desktop.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux Newbie
    Maybe a description of your hardware is essential to give you better advices on what distro to use. For example, no one can recommand you a nice WM with full of 3D compiz effect if you don't have at least a Geforce 6200 in your setup. I have a very nice and responsive LinuxMint, running on an AthlonXP 2200+, with 2GB of Ram, A NVidia Geforce6200, and a 30GB SSD.
    On the othe side, no distro I tryed runs well on a quad core Atom with 4GB of Ram, because of a crappy PowerVR graphic chip. This Atom will become a server.
    Last edited by CaptainDangeax; 09-20-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Some more information