Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Originally Posted by Roxoff The plain answer is set up a small network and grow it, imposing all the security tools you need as you go. You'll learn about different ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    The plain answer is set up a small network and grow it, imposing all the security tools you need as you go. You'll learn about different sizes of network and different layouts, you'll be able to try different configurations as you grow it. You'll get a broader experience of networks doing it that way. And not every corporation has a big corporate network.
    When you put it that way it makes a lot of sense. I guess I'm trying to put the cart before the horse since I don't know poop from squat.

I think I'll start with a simple 7 to 7 home network, grow from there and buy hardware if or when I need it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just Joined!
    Having done corporate networks for over 10 years, I would suggest rather than spending a lot of money for equipment you don't really need, you should look into something like GNS3 or WANem. Why buy equipment when you can emulate it all. Using applications like these and Virtual Box you can make a multi-segmented, multi-subnet, multi-device network. All of the security of a actual network can also be emulated with the virtual equipment. And with this, you can follow all of these fine suggestions without the expense, room, electricity costs and real time headaches. I would only spend cash on equipment you absolutely can't do without. Even Cisco has emulators for their switches and routers for study purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by larrythethird` View Post
    Having done corporate networks for over 10 years, I would suggest rather than spending a lot of money for equipment you don't really need, you should look into something like GNS3 or WANem. Why buy equipment when you can emulate it all. Using applications like these and Virtual Box you can make a multi-segmented, multi-subnet, multi-device network. All of the security of a actual network can also be emulated with the virtual equipment. And with this, you can follow all of these fine suggestions without the expense, room, electricity costs and real time headaches. I would only spend cash on equipment you absolutely can't do without. Even Cisco has emulators for their switches and routers for study purposes.
    Way cool suggestion.

+1

I scoured the net for days looking for something like that and couldn't find it. All the network emulators I kept finding were like big test labs you could rent time on.

Thank you very much.

And thanks everybody else for all of the suggestions.

With what I know about hardware and virtual machines, now that somebody has shown me an emulator, I think I'll be able to cook up something with some cheap hardware where I can implement your suggestions and play with tons of configurations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2