Find the answer to your Linux question:
Today I wrote a very small quick script that took less than five minutes to write and it is something I will use on a weekly basis at least once. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why I love scripting.

Today I wrote a very small quick script that took less than five minutes to write and it is something I will use on a weekly basis at least once. The script will edit a file and make it a readable format. It would only take a couple of minutes to manually edit it in the past but now I have an alias that does it instantly.

Trusted Penguin
    yup. agreed.

i have a wad of scripts I use so often, I made an RPM of them and just install that RPM whenever I have a new box. The RPM creates aliases and functions and ENV VARS, etc., very handy.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
    Today I wrote a very small quick script that took less than five minutes to write and it is something I will use on a weekly basis at least once. The script will edit a file and make it a readable format. It would only take a couple of minutes to manually edit it in the past but now I have an alias that does it instantly.
    I've got a few of those also. Very handy indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    yup. agreed.

i have a wad of scripts I use so often, I made an RPM of them and just install that RPM whenever I have a new box. The RPM creates aliases and functions and ENV VARS, etc., very handy.
    Now that's just showing off Mine are obviously more basic because I just keep them in a single directory. If I re-install, that directory and the .bashrc file get copied across from my backup disk
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Now that's just showing off
    lol! and it's really not. i learned how to make an RPM once long ago and it is so redonkulously easy...now it's like tying my shoes.