Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by rokytnji Unetbootin is a no go if bios won't boot from usb. Simplest solution. Pull hardrive from laptop and install Linux while hard drive is attached to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Unetbootin is a no go if bios won't boot from usb. Simplest solution. Pull hardrive from laptop and install Linux while hard drive is attached to another computer since the DVD drive is dead also.

Second solution if your laptop has a floppy drive and can boot from it. Make a PLOP floppy disk (I have done this and it works booting usb when bios does not support booting usb). Make the Unetbootin live usb. Boot the Floppy disk first. Pick usb from menu. Boot unetbootin Pendrive.
    No go on the floppy drive. I think that this particular laptop was in like the first or second generation of PC laptops which shipped without any kind of optical drive.

As for the install from another computer method, I didn't think that was possible.... I always thought that (at least with Windows) you locked yourself into a particular motherboard/hardware config when you installed the OS, and that you couldn't hot-swap the bootable HD across different systems without a complete reinstall...

So how would that work exactly? Could I just plug the laptop HD up to a Windows 7 computer (both of my computers are Win 7) via the right USB cable, and install Linux onto the HD that way? Or would I need to just plug the HD into another laptop with a working optical drive, install, and then swap it back into the original equipment?

Thank you so much!

Do a google search on net install of linux. It will bring up links like this one on how to install linux over an internet connection. Quick HOWTO : Ch25 : Network-Based Linux Installation - Linux Home Networking
    No working cd required.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux Guru
    So how would that work exactly? Could I just plug the laptop HD up to a Windows 7 computer (both of my computers are Win 7) via the right USB cable, and install Linux onto the HD that way? Or would I need to just plug the HD into another laptop with a working optical drive, install, and then swap it back into the original equipment?
    Either way will work just fine.

As for the install from another computer method, I didn't think that was possible.... I always thought that (at least with Windows) you locked yourself into a particular motherboard/hardware config when you installed the OS, and that you couldn't hot-swap the bootable HD across different systems without a complete reinstall...
    No. Linux is not proprietary like Windows. Just do the install. Move the Hardrive. The kernel will pick up the new motherboard and hardware just fine. I have moved Long time installed Laptop Linux installed hardrives from one laptop to another before. Booted and ran just fine. I just had to change wireless interface from wlan0 to wlan1 since a saved wireless interface was already present because that hard drive was in that laptop for months. That was the Only glitch for me moving Linux hard drives from one computer to another. And that was a special case.

P.S. I have done this on Desktops also.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Wow. That's awesome to hear, it makes life a lot easier!

my partner has said that I can play with his old IBM Thinkpad, so it appears I will have two computers to play with Linux on! Thanks all for the help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2