Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, so I'm getting senile and grumpy but it seems to me that Ubuntu 12.04 was made for office secretaries because LibreOffice has three prominent icons on the desktop while ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is Ubuntu 12.04 The Hide And Seek Distro!

OK, so I'm getting senile and grumpy but it seems to me that Ubuntu 12.04 was made for office secretaries because LibreOffice has three prominent icons on the desktop while mostly everything else is hidden!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Linux Engineer
    You seem to have been using Linux for more than a day, so why are you running Ubuntu in the first place?

There's nothing wrong with running Ubuntu. It's a decent system, and aside from Unity it's fairly easy to manage.
    I ran Ubuntu for a while, and was quite satisfied with it. But that was 10.04, so Gnome 2 was still the default.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    There are plenty of users that wouldn't consider running anything else. As for me, I could never stick with Ubuntu for more than a day or two during the dozen or so different times that I've tried it in the past, but I'm glad it's available for those that can get along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    it seems to me that Ubuntu 12.04 was made for office secretaries because LibreOffice has three prominent icons on the desktop while mostly everything else is hidden!
    I'm not a fan of icons all over the desktop, LibreOffice or not, so I guess I wouldn't make a good secretary!
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    I'm not a fan of icons all over the desktop, LibreOffice or not...
    Same here. I like a clean and simple desktop. Having a busy screen is just too distracting.
    As far as being a secretary... my ton of voice is just a touch to sarcastic to even consider that!
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I guess i was spoiled by Ubuntu 8.04 where it was pretty easy to find things with the menus in the toolbars.
    I will probably need to print out a whole ream of paper to eventually sift through the massive operating intructions
    for 12.04. I mean there s not even an applications menu readily available!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Lucky, have you considered using another DE? Xfce is really quite nice looking, and fairly easy to mess with.
    Another, not one of my favorites but still nice, is LXDE.
    Either can be easily installed via apt-get.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Unity is a different way of using the desktop. I prefer Unity to Gnome 3 but I much prefer a traditional desktop to either. Assuming that you stick with it, when in Unity you can simply press the Windows or Flag key which should pop up dash where you can start typing what you are looking for. Alternatively, moving the mouse to the top left corner should also pop up dash.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent