Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MASONTX
  • 1 Post By elija
  • 1 Post By Siddly
  • 1 Post By jarome
I'm new to computers I was planning to give OpenSuse a go as we use suse enterprise server at TAFE for practical exercises. Most of the OS's are Windows and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why not OpenSuse

I'm new to computers I was planning to give OpenSuse a go as we use suse enterprise server at TAFE for practical exercises. Most of the OS's are Windows and we are given any windows software we want through MDSN. But now we are getting to the enterprise stuff we are learning more about Linux and the fact it is better than windows for many reasons.
    To the point. I've been looking at what distro most recommend and most of them say Mint. Is there anything wrong with Suse?

Nothing at all wrong with suse. Mint is recommended because it has a reputation as being easy for people new to linux to adjust to, but if you go to distrowatch.com and look at the top 100 list, Opensuse is currently #5 in popularity. Any of the top 20 or so would also be good choices, with the possible exception of Arch. Arch is more for experienced users, although many newbies have worked hard and learned it. Make a cd/dvd of the ones that appeal to you and try a live distro. The best distro is the one you like best and feel most comfortable with. Welcome to linux and to the forums.
    dono725 likes this.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    While it's true that openSUSE isn't as beginner friendly as Linux Mint, it's not that difficult. It's no Gentoo after all

As to why not to use it, personally I found it to be a bit more clunky than some other distros I've used but there was nothing really wrong with it. On my hardware (Quad core I5 with 16GB RAM) I found it to be not in the top performers of distros but it's no slouch either. For example when using openSUSE, my network speed was generally about 100KBs slower than Debian or Fedora. I never got to the bottom of why.

It's reasonably stable (as in unchanging) and gives reasonable performance and it is a distro that looks good out of the box.

Why not give it a go and let us know if you like it?
    dono725 likes this.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Linux Newbie
    I have been using openSUSE since SUSE 6.0 and now run 4 systems with openSUSE factory (12.3 Milestone 0).

Before retirement I also installed SUSE on a mainframe.

I also run Ubuntu on 3 x86_64 boxes.
    Ubuntu ARM on a Beagleboard -XM, a Beaglebone, a Pandaboard and a ODROID-X.

Most of my stuff I do initially at any rate is on openSUSE by preference though I am happy using any distro.
    I even run many of the distros under VirtualBox on openSUSE.

Where the clunky description comes from I don't know. Ubuntu and offshoots, Fedora, openSUSE all have their own systems management but that is not a problem as one guy suggested to me.
    yum, zypper and apt/aptitude are not that much different in use.

Some weeks ago I mistakenly typed "aptitude install <package>" in openSUSE and was surprised it worked.

Whatever you install, I'd encourage using either KVM or VirtualBox to install and get comfortable with other distributions.
    dono725 likes this.

Just Joined!
    I have been running SUSE and OpenSUSE for many years. IMHO, yast2 makes it the easiest system for a beginner to administer, and it is always rock solid. They fix issues promptly too. It also installs dual boot over Windows very nicely.
    dono725 likes this.