Find the answer to your Linux question:
My Introduction to Computers class at University included this assignment of registering for a forum (of our choice), posting a question (of our choice), and pasting the post into a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Opinions on university sponsored forum spam?

My Introduction to Computers class at University included this assignment of registering for a forum (of our choice), posting a question (of our choice), and pasting the post into a word assignment. I do not actually have a burning question outside of my desire to complete this assignment.

What kind of effect does an assignment like this have on the targeted forums? Could this be construed as a form of low-level, school-sponsored forum spamming? Does it have an effect on the overall quality of a forum as a resource of useful information?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by mp201259 View Post
    What kind of effect does an assignment like this have on the targeted forums? Could this be construed as a form of low-level, school-sponsored forum spamming? Does it have an effect on the overall quality of a forum as a resource of useful information?
    Hello and welcome!

I believe they are trying to teach you that solutions to common Linux problems can often be obtained on help forums, so that if you are comfortable with joining such a forum and posting help related requests, you might be given the answers you seek. Whether or not such posts are considered spam would depend on the content of the questions being asked and the solutions provided. While posting questions only to complete an assignment might seem spam-oriented, having Linux users where they feel comfortable with joining forums and asking questions is probably a good thing for forums because most would have a difficult time staying afloat if everyone was overly reluctant to sign up and start posting questions and/or solutions.

Sometimes, it can become a problem when a new user taking a class signs up and then starts posting their classwork questions hoping that others will give them the answers, hence the forum rule here and on many other forums that homework questions are not allowed.

Best of luck to you with your computer class!
    oz

If you ask a good question, the answer may help someone else in the future.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I fail to see how it would be considered "spamming" if the question is relevant. Forums and IRC are still the lifeblood of the technicial community, and the sooner you get used to using them the easier your life will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin View Post
    I fail to see how it would be considered "spamming" if the question is relevant. Forums and IRC are still the lifeblood of the technicial community, and the sooner you get used to using them the easier your life will be.
    Yes, I completely agree. The right sort of questions will lead to helpful answers, and bad questions will usually teach the poster about bad questions. And it's only spam if they're trying to sell us something or promote something for their own gain.

I have one question in reply, though. If you post your question to this forum in the Coffee Lounge, and as a result your post count remains at zero, does that mean you've failed the test?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/