Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone. I just thought I'd put a post up introducing myself: seems polite, and figure people might enjoy seeing a post that isn't about a problem or whatever I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi

Hey everyone. I just thought I'd put a post up introducing myself: seems polite, and figure people might enjoy seeing a post that isn't about a problem or whatever

I'm currently running various windows OS's, but I've long considered Linux, and I'm glad to have finally found a place I can actually find useful information. It seemed for a long time that Linux is a great system, but difficult to learn how to use, and not a lot of support. So, good to get that disproved.

I'll probably be asking lots of silly questions in the weeks coming, I really appreciate your help. Don't worry, I am looking through the FAQ post etc.

Hi there, welcome on board.

Don't be frightened by Linux. It's no more difficult or easy than any commercial OS, it's just different. The configuration is, in my opinion, more consistent though. Have you chosen a distribution yet? This is the first hurdle new users face - when you come to Linux, it's a culture shock when the system is (usually) free. You can download and try a few before you pick your favourite.

Good luck with your adventure into Linux.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome aboard, Allan53... we look forward to seeing you on the forums!
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    At this point, I'm still Googling and reading the various guides and comparisons, but at the moment I'm leaning towards Ubuntu. It seems to be touted as easy to use, and I've heard of it (which, while not a rational reason as to its suitability or efficacy, gives me a tiny feeling of familiarity).

Thoughts? Ideas? Counter-points I should consider? Funny stories?

I've got some time, since I still need to get the parts to assemble the machine for it. I know I could do a partition, but my desktop is sporadic enough at the moment, hardware-wise, and my laptop is strictly no games and no fiddling (I use it for uni and work). Plus, this way I get to put together another rig

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan53 View Post
    At this point, I'm still Googling and reading the various guides and comparisons, but at the moment I'm leaning towards Ubuntu. It seems to be touted as easy to use, and I've heard of it (which, while not a rational reason as to its suitability or efficacy, gives me a tiny feeling of familiarity).

Thoughts? Ideas? Counter-points I should consider? Funny stories?
    Ubuntu is a very popular option for new Linux users, and Linux Mint is another one. The good thing about Linux is that there's almost always another distro that you can try if you don't like the one you are currently running.

Good luck to you with whatever distribution you choose to go with...
    oz

Hello and Welcome!

I think Ubuntu is a fine choice for a new user. I ran it for a little while, and was fairly pleased with it. Good hardware detection, solid set of software comes with the installation... all around good system.
    I used Mint for a short while, too. Nothing bad to say about it, either.

Both can be used as a LiveCD, so feel free to try them both before installing.
    No matter what you choose, enjoy!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Welcome to the forum. You might want to bookmark distrowatch.com. They have 700 plus distributions of linux on file. Each one has a brief descriptive write up, and can be downloaded. On the right side of the page, they have the top 100 distro's listed in order (Mint, Mageia, and Ubuntu are 1,2, and 3 right now). They also have a search function where you can specify beginner, older hardware, which desktop you like, etc and it will give you the distro's that meet that criteria. As new versions or new distro's are released, they post the release announcement, so you can keep up with what is going on. Google is also a good resource for questions you might have, and of course, the archives and forums here. Great to have you join us.
    Registered Linux user #526930