Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a Noob to Linux and I was looking for some lesser-known Linux distros. They can be independent or be based on any other distro (just as long as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question I need help choosing a Linux distro. PLEASE HELP!

Hi,
    I'm a Noob to Linux and I was looking for some lesser-known Linux distros. They can be independent or be based on any other distro (just as long as it's not Ubuntu). Also, I don't like distros with LXDE of XFCE as the desktop environment. The desktop environment can also be custom. Have any recommendations?

Hello and Welcome!

Not Ubuntu-based, huh? Well, that leaves a whole slew of options for you to choose from!
    I'd say take a good look through DistroWatch. Start at the top of the Page Hit Rankings and work your way down. You can also use the Search feature to narrow down your options. And as most distros can bot from a LiveCD or LiveUSB, you can give them a try without messing with your current OS.

Enjoy the search!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, jayd512
    However, I was looking for more of a recommendation of a distro. I will take a look at distrowatch.

sensi277

I have a file draw containing Linux distros that I did not take to. I'm currently using AntiX which I am liking more and more each day!!.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Quote Originally Posted by sensi277 View Post
    However, I was looking for more of a recommendation of a distro.
    Sorry, but that's kinda like recommending a specific car or flavor of ice cream. It really depends on your likes and dislikes.
    And without trying a few out, even you won't know for sure what you're going to settle on. CousinLucky mentioned antiX, which isn't based on Ubuntu, but is based on Debian. (So it's based on Ubuntus' parent distro!) It's gaining popularity with folks because of it's speed, stability and a fair learning curve and ease of use.

Since I don't know your preferences or knowledge level, I made the best suggestion that I could... Try a few. See what tickles your fancy.
    Last edited by jayd512; 10-16-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: fixed [QUOTE] tag
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just to mention some other flavors not mentioned.
    SolusOS, Vector Linux, Crux Live,SlaxEX

Plus so many choices I could fill a whole page thread with this post as jay says. We are no mind readers here when it comes to the OP user skill set on running a computer. Only you know that.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

"What you think about me is none of my business"