Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've never worked with KDE before, so decided to try it out. In Gnome, Mate, Xfce, or LXDE, I used synaptic to select new applications and update my system. In ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

KDE package Konfusion

I've never worked with KDE before, so decided to try it out. In Gnome, Mate, Xfce, or LXDE, I used synaptic to select new applications and update my system. In KDE, I feel like a newb idiot, how do you find apps and update? I tried sudo apt-get update, and sudo apt-get install synaptic, but I was told I wasn't in the sudoers file. Can one of you KDE users Klear up my Konfusion? Thanks.

Forgot to mention I have installed Aptosid and Bridge linux in VM to try out.
    Last edited by MASONTX; 10-17-2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Add info
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    After you typed "sudo apt-get install synaptic" it should have asked you for your password. Did it not? I use KDE all the time and have NEVER heard of this happening. Can you post the output of this "sudo apt-get install synaptic"? (without quotes)

It looks like you have create a new User and you are logged in KDE session as that User only. Either add new User in sudoers file to give it root privileges or login as a User that you created during installation.

By default, new users don't have root privileges.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I was logged in as the only user created during installation, but it told me I was not in the sudoers file. Since it and root are the only accounts, I dont know how to proceed. Update though, I tried Kubuntu and Konotik, and both worked just fine. A couple of others would install, say to reboot, but just go back to a live seesion, and Aptosid and Debian would tell me I was not in the sudoers file. From playing with Kubuntu and Kanotix, I think I have concluded that while I could live with KDE, it is not my preferred system. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    aptosid may not use sudo by default. The alternative is su followed by the root password
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I tried both. At any rate, the problem is, while not solved, irrelevant now, since I did get several KDE distro's to install, update, and try out, in my VM. I played around enough to decide that KDE is ok, but not my preferred DE/WM.