Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
If you're reading a tutorial or something online about some specific steps to do in the terminal, and you don't understand what each step is doing, don't run that step. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

If you're reading a tutorial or something online about some specific steps to do in the terminal, and you don't understand what each step is doing, don't run that step.

Make sure you understand what you're typing in, and what it's supposed to do before pressing enter. This will save you from most problems. Come here and ask if you want to know what each step does and you're not able to figure it out on your own.
    Also, if your files are important to you, make sure everything is backed up.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    I have not gotten the book yet and I'm already terrified!!
    now what is terrifying is being responsible for the security of a Windows box on the internet (w/o a Linux firewall in front of it).
    elija likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu
    w/o a Linux firewall in front of it
    I know it's not what w/o means, but in my mind it read that as 'with or without a Linux firewall in front of it'

More to the point of cousinlucky's question... backup backup backup. You feel a lot safer in the command line if you know you can always restore your data from backup.

Better yet, a VM that you can safely kill as many times as you like (or more, probably). If we may believe Miguel de Cervantes in that there isn't a proverb that isn't true, this is specially so for "you learn by your mistakes" or the Dutch one "pain and shame will turn into wisdom"
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    Any and All Taboos would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
    Don't run any command if you don't understand what it will do.
    Don't run any command with greater power than is absolutley essential (don't run as root or tag sudo on the beginning unless you really need to).

Use the man pages and ask if you still don't understand & try running commands with normal or resticted user rights before running as root or using sudo

Rules to follow:-
    Backup your data/system on a regular basis, and certainly before doing major system admin tasks/data moves
    If you are prone to hitting the return key before you have finished typing in the full command then start the entry with a # after you are happy you have everything typed in correctly use the home key to go to the start of the command and delete the #
    jayd512 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    If you are prone to hitting the return key before you have finished typing in the full command then start the entry with a # after you are happy you have everything typed in correctly use the home key to go to the start of the command and delete the #
    Very nice! I gotta keep that in mind for folks!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

" Item: a woman friend of mine recently told me that she'd broken off a ( hitherto ) stimulating exchange of
    e-mail with a young man. At first he had seemed like such an intelligent and interesting guy, she said, but
    then, " he started going all PC -versus- Mac on me. "

That brought on my first embarassing LOL on the bus today as I read the beginning of Neal Sthephenson's book.
    I had to put it away because further loud laughs of mine kept coming out. He writes very well!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    I know it's not what w/o means, but in my mind it read that as 'with or without a Linux firewall in front of it'
    heh heh, yeah. that'd be like running into a hail of gunfire 'with or without kevlar underpants'. if i had the option, i'd certainly put those bad boys on, but i'd rather not be in a situation that called for them in the first place.

Although Mr. Stephenson's book is nicely written about computer history; it does contain any terminal codes.
    I should have asked at LF before buying his book.
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

before buying his book
    You must be getting blind Cuz not to see and use the link in my signature. Better buy some reading glasses.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I never got past - Lead, Follow, or get the heck out of the way

Thanks Much, Roky!!

( I've been blind a long time )
    Linux user # 414321

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast