Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
It is taking time to get used to the way that it functions; but my old bones are taking a liking to Antix 12. I use the Iceweasel browser for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I Really Like The AntiX 12 Distro!!

It is taking time to get used to the way that it functions; but my old bones are taking a liking to Antix 12. I use the Iceweasel browser for LF, linux, and newspapers. I use Iceape and Fastmail for my email and websites and Konqueror for a few items

For old people with old computers AntiX hits the spot!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Linux Guru
    Took me a awhile to get used to AntiX also after Ubuntu and Open Suse also Cuz. It is now my preferred distro install on all my computers. The community may be small and we are far and few between. But we got each others backs when one needs a shoulder to lean on.

Took me awhile to convince you. But this distro is just as good as any major release.

Code:
    $ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: bikertest Kernel: 3.6.0-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) 
               Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.2 Distro: antiX-base-maintenance-amd64 Edelwei▀piraten 06 October 2012
    As soon as this goes final. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS will be history on this and my other 64bit box also. We have come a long way from when AntiX first started and I was there learning
    when it was more of a geeks distro than it is now. I like unknown out of the way places and things. One can find gems there instead of going to where everyone else goes.

One of the great things about AntiX 12 that really suits me is that everything that I save to the Desktop goes into a directory ( folder ) in my home directory ( folder ). which leaves my desktop very tidy and free from clutter. If I am on a web page and want to save or print something I can open the text editor or the office and paste the item in there for printing or saving. The only item I added to the desktop is a letterhead that I use for writing snail mail letters.

I would have never tried AntiX 12 if I had not messed up my old hard drive so this is the " silver lining " to that fumbling disaster of mine!
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Took me a awhile to get used to AntiX also after Ubuntu and Open Suse also Cuz. It is now my preferred distro install on all my computers. The community may be small and we are far and few between. But we got each others backs when one needs a shoulder to lean on.

Took me awhile to convince you. But this distro is just as good as any major release.

Code:
    $ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: bikertest Kernel: 3.6.0-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) 
               Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.2 Distro: antiX-base-maintenance-amd64 Edelwei▀piraten 06 October 2012
    As soon as this goes final. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS will be history on this and my other 64bit box also. We have come a long way from when AntiX first started and I was there learning
    when it was more of a geeks distro than it is now. I like unknown out of the way places and things. One can find gems there instead of going to where everyone else goes.
    A 64 Bit AntiX does sound interesting... Stable enough to try on a semi-live box?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Guru
    You can look at the thread elija and look at my bug reports I guess and decide for yourself elija. Once I got things sorted as far as bugs on my rig. It has been smooth sailing since then.

antiX-forum - View topic - 64 bit antiX to test!

For the applications text file I posted about. I just dragged and dropped /usr/bin/xmms to the Fluxbox-Rox Desktop. Set up a Icon. Then just use the icon on Desktop to launch.

My Desktop can be seen at http://ompldr.org/vZnd6ZA/dirty.jpg

I am going to blow away the Ubuntu 10.04LTS install when things settle down on this 64bit AntiX alpha release and just run AntiX on my 64bit Desktop PC's. It is just so much faster and uses less ram and a recent kernel also. This change over has been on my mind for a while but I was
    waiting for AntiX to go 64bit first.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    AntiX is a distro I've wanted to try for a long time but have been held back by the 32 bit only nature of the wee beastie. I've downloaded the alpha and now just have to find the time to install it...
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I'm very tempted. I didn't know there was a distro specifically made for old iron. I have 256 MB of RAM and can provide 3 GB of disk space so I'm an ideal client.

Mind you, I would have to sacrifice Arch for it, because I only have room for two distros and I must keep Slackbody. But I haven't really warmed to Arch. I installed it because I wanted something like Crux (which I loved) but with binary packages; it doesn't feel anything like Crux though. Maybe I should move again.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I'm very tempted.
    I would think you should give it a whirl if you aren't happy with your current distro. A little distro-hopping never did hurt anyone (at least not seriously, so far as I'm aware), and I'd be interesting in hearing your thoughts on it should you decide to give AntiX a spin.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Allow me to add my own plug for antiX, which Roky and Cousin will probably know. Roky is a big proponent of antiX, and he probably spends as much time helping others with it as anyone that I know on the antiX forum. Cousin was one of them. I've helped "Julian516" (Bill), and Dragonmouth over the years; these guys hang out in other forums that I visit a bit more frequently. In Bill's case, he was one of the ones wishing for a 64 bit implementation, so he's going to give that a try.

What I particularly like about antiX is that it has modest hardware requirements, and it very nicely splits the space between ultra-easy, but not very flexible, and extremely flexible, but not very easy. The antiX distributions, and there are three variations at the present time (soon to be at least four, when the 64 bit stuff is fleshed out), are easy to use because, one, like most distributions these days, you can initially boot them live, check them out, and decide if they are worth installing or not. That makes the installation easy. The default choices during installation and configuration also make life easy for beginners, but the alternatives are not so deeply hidden or ingrained that it becomes difficult to modify or reconfigure; that's a great strength of antiX.

Then, it's fast, backed by solid Debian software, flexible enough to run either super stable software, fairly stable testing software, or the latest Debian software, which is more volatile, but nearly always works, in spite of its volatility. Add my recommendation to the others; antiX is great, works well on old hardware, and is downright fast on recent hardware.
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com

Another thing I really like about AntiX is I can drag and drop a file onto my desktop and then move it somewhere else and I'm asked if I want to copy the file or move it. If I move it the file on the desktop goes blank and is easily removed. I'm getting used to Libre Office too, although I miss the fonts that are in Open Office. Hazel, you can order an AntiX disk from OS Disk for a few dollars ( $2.35 plus postage ) and check it out on a live cd. I willing to bet that you will end up liking AntiX!
    Linux user # 414321

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast