Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Originally Posted by Dapper Dan Minimal is the way to go! I'll have OpenBox of course but will also install my old standby, IceWM. My command line skills have gone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Minimal is the way to go! I'll have OpenBox of course but will also install my old standby, IceWM. My command line skills have gone to hell since I switched to Mint.
    One thing I've not decided yet is whether I'll go with LILO, or with GRUB. I'm using GRUB at the moment with Arch, but I played around with various bootloaders for a few weeks a while back and LILO still seemed to work as well as ever, and it does appear that LILO is still the default bootloader for CRUX, so I might stick with that. I did see that GRUB is now available on the CRUX installation disk, however.

What about you, Dan... are you currently a LILO'er, or a GRUB'er?
    oz

Grub mostly although I have no problems using either. Lilo is more simple to set up with CRUX. Grub takes a bit more to get configured correctly. I'm thinking of buying a whole new drive to install CRUX 2.8, then add my old drive into the mix since it now contains Mint and a good working install of CRUX 2.7. The compile times do get on my nerves but the lightning fast speed and simplicity of configuration make it all worth it in the end.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Oz, I'm all set. I bought one TB Sata drive today and will replace my present drive with it and install Mint 13 Mate and Grub. After this, I'll add the first drive and transfer /home directory stuff over to new drive. I'll put CRUX 2.8 on a partition on the new drive and play with it in my spare time.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Oz, I'm all set. I bought one TB Sata drive today and will replace my present drive with it and install Mint 13 Mate and Grub. After this, I'll add the first drive and transfer /home directory stuff over to new drive. I'll put CRUX 2.8 on a partition on the new drive and play with it in my spare time.
    Glad you have a plan under way, Dan... hope it goes well for you!

I didn't have much time to play around with CRUX today, but did get the 64-bit version installed. For the bootloader, I decided to go with LILO rather than GRUB, but I might move to GRUB later on. It's all booting and running fine, but I'm going to tweak and refine my kernel build a bit more when I get more time, and I need to find and install some of my favorite packages, then I'll be good to go.

This is the first time I've gotten around to installing CRUX since about 2004, not long after version 2.0 was released!
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Good mornin', Dan!

Hope that new CRUX 2.8 install is going well for you.

I'm still running CRUX and it's running great, but I am a bit disappointed in the ports selection for 64-bit systems, and even the 32-bit selection isn't all that great, so I'm hoping that those users that enjoy building packages will put some things together so that I don't have to create them myself. For now, I've had to give up some of my favorite apps until I can find or build them.

Good luck with your own install...
    oz

If you can go source, that's the best way to go but like you, I've run into situations where there wasn't a particular package I wanted in ports. I have no qualms with using binaries when I run into this. Slackware packages are a good "go-to" package to use in such cases as CRUX and Slack use pretty much the same file structure. There's also deb2tgz and rpm2tgz where you can use those binaries to make CRUX packages. Check the ports section of the main website and search for packages there. There are a good number of ports created by users and you can often find package there that aren't in opt or contrib. Just add those to /etc/ports, update ports and install. Are you using prt-get?

oz
    forum.guy
    Slackware packages are a good "go-to" package to use in such cases as CRUX and Slack use pretty much the same file structure.

Check the ports section of the main website and search for packages there. There are a good number of ports created by users and you can often find package there that aren't in opt or contrib. Just add those to /etc/ports, update ports and install.

Are you using prt-get?
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about Slackware packages so will look into that. Yeah, I've enabled opt and contrib and also have added some other miscellaneous ports but still can't get the packages that I want, or they don't compile properly in some cases. Yes, I've also been using prt-get.

It's odd that when I go to the ports pages on the CRUX website, it still reflects version 2.7 repos rather than the 2.8 repos. For instance, I want ROX as a file manager, and it shows up in opt for 2.7 but when I try to fetch it with prt-get, there is a "package not found" error, so apparently it does not exist in the 2.8 repo.
    oz

You might try editing the rsync or httpup files in /etc/ports to reflect 2.8. I remember running into that from 2.6 to 2.7.

oz
    forum.guy
    You might try editing the rsync or httpup files in /etc/ports to reflect 2.8. I remember running into that from 2.6 to 2.7.
    Yeah, I checked those last night and they are entered to check the 2.8 files. I might see if the version in the 2.7 repo can be installed properly.

Edit: the version in the 2.7 repo almost worked but the compile failed right at the last minute.
    Last edited by oz; 10-29-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    oz

What was the error?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast