Find the answer to your Linux question:
Today I took in a parcel for some neighbours. The courier asked me to sign for it and produced, not a paper form, but something that looked like a mobile ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How does this technology work?

Today I took in a parcel for some neighbours. The courier asked me to sign for it and produced, not a paper form, but something that looked like a mobile phone with a stylus attached. I've never seen anything like it. When I gingerly drew the stylus down the screen (which was unlit and looked like a liquid crystal screen to me) a black line followed it and I realised I could write on it like on paper.

What is this? And how does it store your signature? Does it do something like a screenshot and then store it as a graphical file? I find modern technology quite baffling.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    What is this? And how does it store your signature? Does it do something like a screenshot and then store it as a graphical file? I find modern technology quite baffling.
    Hi, hazel

The following article should give you the basics of how it works:

How Does a Tablet Writing Pad Work? | eHow.com
    oz

Thanks, Oz. It's a bit difficult to look things up when you don't know what they're called. So this was actually a tablet? I thought tablet computers were bigger than that.

Obviously with a signature, you don't need character recognition so I still think the gizmo probably stored my signature as an image.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks, Oz. It's a bit difficult to look things up when you don't know what they're called. So this was actually a tablet? I thought tablet computers were bigger than that.

Obviously with a signature, you don't need character recognition so I still think the gizmo probably stored my signature as an image.
    I don't think those gizmos are tablets, but the signature part of it works on the same technology as a tablet if I'm not mistaken. I think the mobile device itself is more like a mobile phone in that it sends a signal back to the carrier's headquarters showing the package has been delivered once signed for, along with a copy of the signature and the exact time of delivery. I know that my own delivery guy says the info is back to his headquarters before he even gets back into his delivery vehicle. MikeTbob has some experience with this kind of stuff so he might be able to add more info to how it all works.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Today I took in a parcel for some neighbours. The courier asked me to sign for it and produced, not a paper form, but something that looked like a mobile phone with a stylus attached. I've never seen anything like it. When I gingerly drew the stylus down the screen (which was unlit and looked like a liquid crystal screen to me) a black line followed it and I realised I could write on it like on paper.

They are lcd screens like the p.d.a.s from a few years ago. link

[edit]
    My old iPaq had handwriting recognition which while good struggled with my scribble. Handwriting was turned into pure text. Presumably these courier devices have some form of storage / transmission mechanism to send the data to the depot,
    [/edit]
    Last edited by elija; 10-26-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!