Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm taking an introductory linux class next semester and it's online. My problem is I don't have a computer I can run Linux on. Has anyone heard of raspberry pi? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux?

I'm taking an introductory linux class next semester and it's online. My problem is I don't have a computer I can run Linux on. Has anyone heard of raspberry pi? I've been told that would work but I don't really know how to set it up and I don't know if it'd work for what I need to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Leah

Just Joined!
    Use VirtualBox or Vmware Player on your laptop.
    you dont need a new computer to run linux, it can be ran virtually.
    Raspberry pi will still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse connection. if your going for something like that.
    Then get something like dreamplug or something in that region. if your absolutely beginner than well just install Virtualbox and youtube how to create virtual machines and all

Hello and Welcome!

In addition to VirtualBox, you could also look into setting up a dual-boot system on your computer.
    On start-up, you can choose to boot into either Linux or your existing Windows installation.
    A third option would be Wubi.

Do a few Google searches on these options, and choose the one that you think would suit you best.
    Let us know what you want to do, and we'll help you out with it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I've never even used Linux. I pretty excited about it though, I really like learning new stuff. I already use a wireless mouse, keyboard, and I have a hdmi capable tv. I am a broke college student, so I don't really have the funds for raspberry pi(even though I'd like to fiddle with it and it's not that expensive). Thanks for the suggestions.

Just Joined!
    That's a great suggestion. I don't know why I didn't thing about that. I've actually set up a dualboot(about a year ago) for a LAN class(running win2008 and windows 7). Thank you for your help!

Just Joined!
    dw i was in the same boat (still in college just a different boat now), till your in college youtube as much of linux tutorials you can.
    Use the other options and let the fun begin.

Just Joined!
    LOL. Good luck with your own college boat!

Just Joined!
    you too

Just Joined!
    College cities (mine definitely included) have an endless supply of cheap laptop computers at the local pawn shop. You can pick one up for under $50 and you can get Linux for free (I got my distro from the library.) You don't have to worry about the laptop having any questionable material on it because you'll be formatting the drive. When you're done, sell it back to the pawn and get half your money or so back.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by medicben View Post
    College cities (mine definitely included) have an endless supply of cheap laptop computers at the local pawn shop. You can pick one up for under $50 and you can get Linux for free (I got my distro from the library.) You don't have to worry about the laptop having any questionable material on it because you'll be formatting the drive. When you're done, sell it back to the pawn and get half your money or so back.
    These are good ideas. Keep in mind that even with the computer you already own, you can download CDs, DVDs, or USB images that you do not have to install at first, unless you want to. You can run them as "live" images directly from CD, DVD, or USB stick, or you can run them using a free software package, such as Virtualbox or an equivalent offering.

You can buy stuff inexpensively if you have any budget for that, but you don't even have to go that route, and I'd recommend that you don't, at least not until you experiment with a few CDs or DVDs first.
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com