Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Here's a quote I just came across (appropos Windows 8) that makes me grind my teeth: "Hell, I am still running Windows XP," says Colin Gillis, a tech analyst with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry We still have a long way to go!

Here's a quote I just came across (appropos Windows 8) that makes me grind my teeth:
    "Hell, I am still running Windows XP," says Colin Gillis, a tech analyst with BGC Financial. "It will be a migration just like every other Windows launch but it will happen because there isn't any other choice. What are you going to run? Linux?"
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Linux Guru
    "Hell, I am still running Windows XP," says Colin Gillis, a tech analyst with BGC Financia
    Be afeared . Be very afeared.

What are you going to run? Linux?"
    Probably safer than the XP that yahoo is running.

That's funny... Tech expert running an 11 year-old OS.
    And then giving a quick smack at a secure alternative.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    "What are you going to run? Linux?"
    Oooooooo! Burn!

Short answer, Yes. Long answer, Ooh! There are more flavors of linux than Baskin Robbins choices of ice cream. How will I wver settle on just one?
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    How will I ever settle on just one?
    I guess maybe that was his argument. With a multitude of secure options... how can we all be secure?

Okay... I'm done. Don't wanna start flaming.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy

regarding Windows releases...

I actually kind of like WinXP when compared to other versions of Windows, so it's hard for me to blame anyone for wanting to stick with it. My Win7 box at work crashes at least once pretty much every day. The two WinXP boxes at the same office hardly ever crash.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    I actually kind of like WinXP when compared to other versions of Windows, so it's hard for me to blame anyone for wanting to stick with it. My Win7 box at work crashes at least once pretty much every day. The two WinXP boxes at the same office hardly ever crash.
    That may be true, but Windows 8/ Server 2012 is actually pretty good, nothing to scoff at compared to the numerous problems that existed in Vista or Windows 7. I have been running Windows 8/ Server 2012 (bare metal) since the first beta release and have had less problems (0 issues, only compatibility problems that were fixed when run in compatibility mode) with it than i had in the first 3 months of running XP or Windows 7. Sure 8's interface is a bit weird on a Desktop but it does work effectively if you get your head around it. But i wanted to test out the new ReFS filesystem that will "supposedly" have similar capabilities to ZFS and will eventually replace NTFS.

The fact that this "Colin Gillis" scoffs at not only the later releases of Windows but the entire Linux world, demonstrates nothing but his ignorance and lack of knowledge on the subject matter. The sort of blogger i choose to ignore entirely because they blatantly have no clue what they are on about, except expressing what their perceived difficulties are in learning what they clearly don't understand.

Has he even used Linux or Windows 8 or is it just an assumption based of what he has read and heard. And iam talking about Linux recently not like 10 years ago or even 3 years ago?
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 10-28-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    I actually kind of like WinXP when compared to other versions of Windows, so it's hard for me to blame anyone for wanting to stick with it.
    You'll laugh but I actually liked Win95 a lot and Win98 even better. I never actually used XP because I took a violent dislike to its cartoonish desktop. That was when I switched to Linux. Mind you, in those days I wasn't on the Internet so I didn't have to worry about security.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    You'll laugh but I actually liked Win95 a lot and Win98 even better.
    Win95 drove me bonkers w/the BSODs, but yeah, I dug Win98, too. That was back when setting up LAN frag-fests was my computer priority. If I'm driven to Windows, I prefer Win2000 or XP. Forget Vista and later.

I never actually used XP because I took a violent dislike to its cartoonish desktop.
    I didn't like it at first, too, but once I found I could "Classic"-ize everything to make it look like Win2K, i was okay with it. Plus, it had ClearType fonts and the built-in Firewall.

anyway, that's enough about Windows for me...bleah.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast