Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Almost everything looks wrong to me. Nothing looks like it's supposed to. Take telephones: I know what a telephone looks like. It is black and shaped like a truncated pyramid ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Do things look wrong to you?

Almost everything looks wrong to me. Nothing looks like it's supposed to. Take telephones: I know what a telephone looks like. It is black and shaped like a truncated pyramid with concave sides, a chrome-plated dial with 10 big round holes along the edges, and a small handset resting in a cradle on top. Nowadays I make telephone calls using a giant yellow handset with a calculator pad set into the underside. It works like a telephone but it doesn't look like one.

Cars don't look like cars any more. Cars are supposed to have spoked wheels (since when have wheels not had spokes?) with mudguards shaped like eyebrows and two headlights on top of the bonnet, sticking out like gramophone horns.

Television aerials look like garden rakes nowadays. Don't people realise they're supposed to be H-shaped?

Even computers look all wrong. They're supposed to be flat boxes that you put on your desktop and then you put the monitor on top of it and the keyboard in front.

I feel like a foreigner in this world.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Linux Enthusiast
    You are lucky, I have been around since there was only three elements (dry, wind, and wet) and then "Bob" (real name not supported on computers) made a case for changing "dry" to "earth" and "wet" to "water" and so we had to re-learn the elements. Latter on "Sue" (again not real name as computers do not handle clicks and grunts) patented what she called "fire" and we could not build it on our own. Soon after the grant of the patent, it was determined that "fire" was an element (but the courts up-held her patent as it had been issued. Now we had four elements.

As for phones, the first phone was a piece of bark connected to another piece of bark and connected to a "cord" of bark created by placing bark on large rocks and walking on the bark to get long cords of bark that could be twisted into a stronger cord. In order to use the phone both parties had to be present and holding the piece of bark and holding the "cord" without any slack. This worked for years until someone had the "cord" running through a bee hive area and the "comb" residue on the cord made the sound better. Soon "Pete" (see the name disclaimer above) had a corner of the entire known bee hives and the cost of the improved "cord" was based on the number of uses of the phone. This caused a great increase in cost as you needed a separate phone for each friend (and they could not live too far away either.

See your problem is very tiny as you are too young.

The " New And Improved " mostly functions as " plannad obsolescentness " to keep the " comsumers "
    repeatedly spending their money for the very same thing. They sometimes call it " progress " but I think
    that humanity, on average, is reversing back into being Crass, Cro-Magnon, and Brutish!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    We all have choices to make, each and every day. When telephones, televisions, radios, and computers add to our convenience, they are useful. When they start to control who we are and what we do, they cease to be conveniences; instead they become more like chains, gates, and bars that impede the progress and assistance they are capable of offering to us. I still find these devices useful, but I am wary of making them more than they are: these devices are (or were) useful. I am a computer professional, but I've seen plenty of good and bad in all of them. I try as much as I can to use them in helpful ways without allowing any of them to run my life!
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com

Just Joined!
    It's not you, the machines are just recompiling the kernal in the Matrix.

I'm just past 42, though, and today's kids seem incredibly superficial and dumber than a box of rocks! Not sure if it's always been that way or I'm just noticing it as I get older...

Linux Guru
    Things always look wrong to me in this world.
    Then.
    I just light up and fly the friendly skies. Then I don't care anymore.
    MikeTbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    The " New And Improved " mostly functions as " plannad obsolescentness " to keep the " comsumers "
    repeatedly spending their money for the very same thing. They sometimes call it " progress " but I think
    that humanity, on average, is reversing back into being Crass, Cro-Magnon, and Brutish!!
    I'm greatly relieved to see you're back, Lucky. I was seriously worried about you, knowing where you live.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Quote Originally Posted by merelyjim View Post
    It's not you, the machines are just recompiling the kernal in the Matrix.

I'm just past 42, though, and today's kids seem incredibly superficial and dumber than a box of rocks! Not sure if it's always been that way or I'm just noticing it as I get older...
    I am 35 and am back in college, and the kids today are definitely incredibly superficial and most are just plain dumb. Sure, they are in school to learn, but most of this stuff they should have learned in high school. What are they teaching nowadays? They think it is a horrible crime if they have to put their cell phone on vibrate during class or worse, turn them off and not use them while IN CLASS.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    I am 35 and am back in college, and the kids today are definitely incredibly superficial and most are just plain dumb. Sure, they are in school to learn, but most of this stuff they should have learned in high school. What are they teaching nowadays? They think it is a horrible crime if they have to put their cell phone on vibrate during class or worse, turn them off and not use them while IN CLASS.
    I wonder how they would cope with the teachers we had... some of them were genuinely scary and pretty much all of them could spin round on the spot and hit the *most* disruptive pupil with a chalkboard eraser without even pausing to aim. Good days good daze

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    I'm greatly relieved to see you're back, Lucky. I was seriously worried about you, knowing where you live.
    Yeah that must have been rough. Glad you came through OK. Do we have any other members in the affected area?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    It is really Bad here Hazel!! All of the Supermakets had to throw away their meat, milk, frozen goods etc. My post office just got their electricity back but the mail is really backed up because the airports just opened back up.People can only reach Mahattan by bridge because all of the tunnel are flooded. The Mayor won't allow cars over the bridges unless there are at least 3 people in them. The only exception is the George Washington bridge to New Jersey where at 6:00AM this morning it took over an hour wait to get onto it.

The Staten Island Ferry Terminals are going to bo out for months. There is absolutely no MTA train sevice south of 34th St. in Manhattan. I have no idea if the stores I frequent in Chinatown are open or have electricity. Ever if you have a car on Staten Island there are very few places that you can get gas. Some of the public bus routes are running but a lot of the bus driver can not get to work.

And on top of all of this there is very serious concern about massive germ contamination from the seawater mixing with petrochemicals and massive sewage. It's Not Pretty Here!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast