Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Well, you aren't supposed to throw them in the trash around here Well, They make excellent wind chimes in the desert wind. Must be the Mad Max mentality we got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Well, you aren't supposed to throw them in the trash around here
    Well, They make excellent wind chimes in the desert wind.
    Must be the Mad Max mentality we got out here.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    "Mad Max mentality..."
    No. Perish the thought.

Well, what got me really roiled is that I found a technet post from '09 (along with hundreds of posts in other places) with a reply from an MS tech saying basically that yeah, we know this happens, we don't know why, here's everything but the kitchen sink on data recovery and good luck with that.

And I do have a backup system in place. But it's manual. I have to pop in a dvd and plug in a usb drive. I hadn't done that in about two months. Luckily what little I can't get back is stuff that can be pulled from other places, like recently posted pics of our neice.

I'm in the process of buiding out a whole network with a dedicated gateway, server, etc. I'll put a NAS on the server and have an incremental full restore image of everything stored in redundant drives. One set of images on the internal HD and maybe a set on a USB plugable drive.

And the drive passed all the tests? Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I don't want to use it for anything critical. But I hate throwing away stuff that still works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2