Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Her hard drive fried on her shiny new box and fried hard a few days ago. The entire partition structure blew all to pieces. Advanced diag tools were telling me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Well I finally got the wife to give up doze

Her hard drive fried on her shiny new box and fried hard a few days ago.

The entire partition structure blew all to pieces. Advanced diag tools were telling me that 1/2 the sectors on the platters were bad. For the life of me I couldn't I couldn't access the data on it. I've never seen one blow like this without it being a physical failure of the drive.

I had to spend all weekend on a marathon hack session, sucking down monsters and not sleeping from Friday night to Sunday night to dig her data back out.

And of course none of the easy stuff worked. Stupid chkdsk (and most of the "basic" tools) said there were no issues, but the friggin thing wouldn't even boot in to safe mode.

And it fried so hard that even a lot of the more advanced tools like testdisk wouldn't pull the data out.

I finally found some *nix tools / utils and some tricks and licks on the web for pulling data off of bad hardware and recovered 99.99% of her data.

But, here's the kicker: There was NOTHING wrong with the hardware. I ran a "minimal" DBAN on it to 0 the drive and kind of do a "light resufacing" of the disk. Then I slapped *nix on it, re-ran all of the diags and it's hummimg along like a charm now.

In the process of trying to figure out what happened I did some research. What I found (much to my suprise, this is just over the top) is that friggin doze 7 has a history of blowing drives apart for *no apparent reason* going all the way back to day 1.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH, Are you friggin kidding me!!!!!!!!!! Seriously!

Oh yeah baby, lets sell these suckers a piece of crap that will randomly blow up their hard drives. Boo-Yah!

The only reasons I had her on doze was b/c I was stupid enough to buy two boxes with Optimus and no way to kill it in the BIOS and she insisted on doze.

Well, now she's sick of it too. So Im going to put her on a less shiny laptop that will suite her needs just fine and go all *nix.

I'm also going to rearrange my hardware so that the shiny boxes with stupid Optimus are headless; no GUI, no issues with Optimus. And just make my whole network *nix from start to finish

I was reading on another thread from roky about the ext4 bug. Nothing is perfect. But how long did it take the gurus to get on fixing it?

7 has been out for OVER 3 YEARS!!!

And do you want to know why her drive went KFB?

Well, so would I!

All the answers I've been able to find basically boil down to crap happens!

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Glad you got things under control. Make sure she wants Linux or you'll be re-installing Windows in the near future.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Also, I wouldn't trust any critical information on that disk. I have ran windows 7 since the alpha days, on many different configurations (raid, ahci, ide, etc...) and never had a problem like that. Usually when something like that happens, I just installed another operating system or messed with the partition tables or something like that. If it is software fault, then I use a program in Linux called ntfs-fix and it recreates the partition tables.

IMO, if you did nothing, then don't trust the hard drive. Most file systems don't just bork themselves, they need software or physical help. Malware is infamous for doing this. No matter how safe you think you are, there is always something that can get past.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Code:
    I was reading on another thread from roky about the ext4 bug. Nothing is perfect. But how long did it take the gurus to get on fixing it?
    I wouldn't concern yourself with that bug on a home system but if you want current events in real time. It takes very special circumstances to bring the bug into play.
    Gmane Loom

There is no way I can get my old lady to pry Windows from here dead cold fingers.

But I can get her to run Puppy Linux off of SD flash card once in a great while (she likes the woof woof boot up sound).
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post

There is no way I can get my old lady to pry Windows from here dead cold fingers.

But I can get her to run Puppy Linux off of SD flash card once in a great while (she likes the woof woof boot up sound).

LOL, of course. Linux doesn't have all the "Accessories" that ladies prefer.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Well she's been using Ubuntu VMs to surf the web and play her music for over a year now and she's ready to take the plunge. She has a bunch of old CD's. I'm pretty sure that some of them have that nasty rootkit DRM crap that sony got busted for a few years back. So she has a VM just for her music and another for surfing the web.

We're both just sick of doze at this point. And I know it could be malware. If you scroll down the coffe shop a bit I used this incident plus some others as a possible indicator of a new zero day or a bad MS update. But, when I started putting in specific symptoms like which file would hang during safe boot I started finding lots of people saying my drive blew up for no reason too.

I'm running some automated stress tests on the drive. First indications though are that the drive is good. I've got a util that will spin it up and down and run read / writes and repliactes "standard usage" on it for whatever length of time I want. I've got it set to run for 24 hours straight right now to see if it's a heat issue.

If it passes that I think it should be ok.

Just Joined!
    Right about when Windows7 came out, I saw a theme on Planet Ubuntu where someone themed and skinned their Linux install to look exactly like Windows.
    At the time, I couldn't figure out why someone would do that. Then I started talking with my Dad about his machine, and it hit me: if I installed that skinned version of Ubuntu on Dad's machine, but never told him the password, there's no way he could really screw it up, and any problems encountered could just be passed-off as normal Windows glitches.
    Ever since, if I see a Windows box running malware-free and no problems, I want to a DOS prompt and see what's under the hood.

If I were you I'd treat that hard drive very suspiciously. I've had hard drives that have dumped their entire partitions before, and yet a full SMART test reveals nothing to be wrong with the drive. If it were me I would invest in a new hard drive regardless of what the tools tell me given its prior history.

Additionally you should look into setting up a backup solution for your data. This would have saved a lot of headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin View Post
    If I were you I'd treat that hard drive very suspiciously. I've had hard drives that have dumped their entire partitions before, and yet a full SMART test reveals nothing to be wrong with the drive. If it were me I would invest in a new hard drive regardless of what the tools tell me given its prior history.

Additionally you should look into setting up a backup solution for your data. This would have saved a lot of headaches.
    This. I have had hard drives do exactly the same thing, and a month later, head crash. Smart said the hard drive was good right up until the end. All diagnostic tools said good also. I have RMA'd disks like that several times.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    This. I have had hard drives do exactly the same thing, and a month later, head crash. Smart said the hard drive was good right up until the end. All diagnostic tools said good also. I have RMA'd disks like that several times.
    I don't even bother with all that noise. Once my drives crash and burn, I pull the data and chunk them in the trash. Ok that was a lie, they are in the garage in a box marked "Mikes Stuff". Well, you aren't supposed to throw them in the trash around here.....they tell us to bring them into a community waste disposal meeting that happens every six months or so. It's where we get rid of dangerous household items like Paint, solvents, batteries and so on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast