Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Well the Staten Island ferry is back running so I went to lower Manhattan today and took a bus to Chinatown to pick up some stuff. There are trucks everywhere ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Well the Staten Island ferry is back running so I went to lower Manhattan today and took a bus to Chinatown
    to pick up some stuff. There are trucks everywhere pumping out the smelly water. I bought a copy of the
    New York Daily News which is finally being published again and it was full of pictures and comparisons to
    Katrina. Very sad and ugly stuff!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Help

It is heartwarming that so many people are helping the Staten Islanders that have been devastated by hurricane Sandy!

Where to give and get help: A Staten Island Hurricane Sandy roundup | SILive.com
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

Very true.
    There's a lot of times when humanity seems like a bunch of heartless goons.
    But when things really turn sour on us, we seem to pull together pretty well.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I do not know if it is true or not but there are reports that whole families of illegal immigrants have been found drowned in their homes
    upon Staten Island and the City of New York is being very hush hush about it.
    Linux user # 414321

From the article - Alice In Waterland by Ms Alice Liberte

underwater-house.jpg

I thought about this as a once beautiful waterfront in South Brooklyn called Sheepshead Bay with a lovely pedestrian blue bridge, famous family restaurants of all tastes (Italian, Russian, Chinese, Polish), cafes, marinas and boat clubs was flooded from the backed up sewage water from the nearby Knapp Street sewage plant that couldn't release the waste due to the storm surge. The devastation was felt for a half mile in every direction inland. I actually witnessed the dirty water rapidly moving up the block on Avenue Z as cars were completely submerged in filth, basements were flooded to the ceiling and neighbors lives’ were destroyed. The full moon, high tide and gale force winds didn't help the situation. Instead they made for a “perfect storm.” And Hurricane Sandy was the perfect storm.

The power flickered during the night as we all moved our basement furniture, files, and valuables to higher ground. Simultaneously, others were throwing their sewage laden belongings on the sidewalks. The pile-up of garbage was a scene from the Twilight Zone - and all occurring in the dark of night. Amidst the groans, cries and sobs of disbelief and loss, fire truck and ambulance sirens screamed all night long as everyone scooped up the rising water from their houses, if they were lucky to own a sump or transfer pump, then the dirty water damage was mitigated. Due to the sewage plant backup, there was no clean, sanitary running water for drinking, showering, toilets, etc.—in other words, no water, unless you were prepared with gallons of bottled water.

Then on Tuesday our power went out in this part of Brooklyn, but not before the power went out in Manhattan and Staten Island.*In tandem, the cell phone networks and Internet went down for days.—Verizon, AT&T and Clear Wireless—yes I'll call out the names of the ones I know about, but no company was immune.*If you were lucky enough to have a landline –not likely in these days when everyone owns at least 2 cell phones— then maybe you could contact your family and friends, but they probably don't have a landline, only cell phones, so you had no idea if they were safe and sound.

So far, this was bad - no water, no power, no communications, I didn't even get a chance to mention that the Mayor of NYC, Mike Bloomberg, suspended all buses and subways, railroads from Monday evening until further notice, so no public transportation either. But if you have a car, you can get around, right? Wrong.
    The bridges and tunnels were closed temporarily, but then reopened with restrictions. The scene was literally taken from the books on how to run a military state. I thought ruefully that every city in America would likely look like this at some point in the future and as a matter of political course, not natural disaster. Imagine police with checkpoints on all the major highways, bridges and tunnels—now add traveling requirements. If you wanted to enter Manhattan, you had to have at least 3 passengers per vehicle, and pets didn't count. If you tried to enter Manhattan with less than the 3-person minimum, you were stopped and turned back. You could leave Manhattan without restriction, but you couldn't get in without the minimum 3 heads. And did I mention that Manhattan south of 34th Street had no power, no water, no heat and the temperatures were cold, lows in the 40s and highs of no more than 50 degrees Fahrenheit. And you couldn't use the toilet or take a shower!
    Linux user # 414321

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2