Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am a new arrival to your forums, and have been dabbling in Linux for about 3 years. Most of my experience has come from an old laptop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redhat Enterprise Vs Ubuntu Server

Hi All,

I am a new arrival to your forums, and have been dabbling in Linux for about 3 years. Most of my experience has come from an old laptop that I installed Mint on.

Currently at my offices we have 2 linux machines (a custom redhat distro) that are running the domain controller, mail and user profiles. They also handle all of our VoIP calls, logs etc.

We have decided due to numerous reasons to switch over our main hosted servers to linux. Thus we get to the purpose of this thread. Our main developer has suggested that we run them on either Redhat Enterprise or Ubuntu Server.

Can anyone please put your views forward on these distro's?
    I am searching the net for all the pro's and cons, but nothing beats experience in a matter such as this.

I look forward to your points of view, suggestions etc.

Thanks

Jesse

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Red hat is generally favoured for servers although I'm sure Canonical would like to change that. Both offer support although with genuine Red Hat you do not get access to updates and software repositories without support. With Ubuntu you do. However, you can use the rebuilds of RHEL if you want access to updates and software. These are CentOS and Scientific Linux.

Personally, I would go for CentOS (or RHEL if you want support) unless you have a compelling reason to go Ubuntu.

The software in Ubuntu is likely to be more recent versions than Red Hat based distros although the later will be equally well patched for bugs and vulnerabilities. If it is important to your decision, Red Hat and co are far better community players than Canonical.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Hi Elija,

Many thanks for your response. I am leaning towards RHEL as the support will be an important part.
    I really appretiate your input, and thoughtful insight into this.

Thank you!

Jesse

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Major cloud players favor Red Hat based distributions - CentOS being the predominant one used. At Nokia we use RHEL, as well as CentOS. I use Scientific Linux (SL) on my personal systems (both workstation and laptops). I have never been able to tell them apart, aside from the bootup splash screens and other copyrighted logos. For a given release, all of the kernels, drivers, libraries, and executables are identical. I build stuff on RHEL that is then run on CentOS or SL, and vice-versa. In case you are wondering, SL is used for the data analysis as well as operational systems at all of the major physics laboratories in the world, including CERN, FermiLab, Argonne, SLAC, et al. So, you can grab RPMs from the mirror sites of any of these, and install them on any of the others. One size fits all!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Yeah that's the beauty of Red Hat distro's, Most are intercompatible. Which is good if you have Linux users in your workplace that prefer a certain Red Hat distro over another (won't make any difference). Unlike DEB based which as far as i know have two variations DEB (Debian) and DEB (Ubuntu) both of which aren't fully compatible with each other.

If your going DEB based i would strongly recommend Debian (Stable), they are generally more stable than their Ubuntu counterpart and follow a more Red Hat method of updating. As long as you don't mind having your own tech support team, but honestly i would be surprised if you ran into a lot of errors that aren't user induced.

But if your after the tech support like Red Hat/ Oracle or Ubuntu Server offer. I would highly suggest Red Hat/ Oracle over Ubuntu Server just because of their full compatibility with majority of their derivatives.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse_001 View Post
    Hi All,

I am a new arrival to your forums, and have been dabbling in Linux for about 3 years. Most of my experience has come from an old laptop that I installed Mint on.

Currently at my offices we have 2 linux machines (a custom redhat distro) that are running the domain controller, mail and user profiles. They also handle all of our VoIP calls, logs etc.

We have decided due to numerous reasons to switch over our main hosted servers to linux. Thus we get to the purpose of this thread. Our main developer has suggested that we run them on either Redhat Enterprise or Ubuntu Server.

Can anyone please put your views forward on these distro's?
    I am searching the net for all the pro's and cons, but nothing beats experience in a matter such as this.

I look forward to your points of view, suggestions etc.

Thanks

Jesse
    Jesse,
    You might do well to fconsider that RHEL has the track record and that Ubuntu 12.04 is new in the running. That being said, thyere is a reason why you can no longer purchase a new Server from HP with anything but Ubuntu 12.04 running the system.

Thoughts to consider.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by th1bill View Post
    Jesse,
    You might do well to fconsider that RHEL has the track record and that Ubuntu 12.04 is new in the running. That being said, thyere is a reason why you can no longer purchase a new Server from HP with anything but Ubuntu 12.04 running the system.

Thoughts to consider.
    The rationale behind HP going with Ubuntu on their new systems is probably more one of cost (or profit) than anything I would suspect, involved with licensing/support.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    The rationale behind HP going with Ubuntu on their new systems is probably more one of cost (or profit) than anything I would suspect, involved with licensing/support.
    And going purely by the last couple of HP items I have bought the decision was nothing to do with improving quality either
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Opinion abound but some do not try to force theirs and those on the outside do. My advise is still, evaluate, opinions... everybody has one!

Just Joined!
    Some interesting points here.
    Sorry I was out collecting a new server. Well it looks like we are all agreed, and have decided to go with RHEL.
    I have just finished downloading a copy of Fedora for testing before we purchase.
    I really really do appretiate all the feedback, and it has helped seal the deal so to speak!
    Thank you gentlemen, and I will be back, and keep you guys updated on the progress. Looks like I have a steep learning curve ahead.
    Rubberman, SL6-A1000, elija, and th1bill, thank you for your time, it was all seriously considered.

Salute!

Jesse