Find the answer to your Linux question:
Guys pleas read the following page and don't forget to drop them a really positive email that's given at the bottom of the website. Let them know you're willing to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Valve software coming to Linux

Guys pleas read the following page and don't forget to drop them a really positive email that's given at the bottom of the website. Let them know you're willing to buy the product again if necessary to have a native Linux copy of your favorite valve game. Thanks

Linux | Valve

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It's here! It's here!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I was so excited when I heard about it, so I downloaded it right away and got TF2. I have a NVIDIA GT 430 and use noveau currently. Playing tf2 ended up as this,screenshot.jpg I think I just need to download the correct driver for my graphics card.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by absal0m View Post
    I was so excited when I heard about it, so I downloaded it right away and got TF2. I have a NVIDIA GT 430 and use noveau currently. Playing tf2 ended up as this,screenshot.jpg I think I just need to download the correct driver for my graphics card.
    Yes. Get the current nVidia driver from the nVidia web site. You will need to blacklist the Nouveau driver and install nVidia from text mode (runlevel 3 on Red Hat systems). The nouveau driver is getting better and better, but still is not up to the proprietary one for performance and reliability.

Just Joined!
    I want to download it, but I have a weird urge not to. Like it feels like it will dirty my RHEL system. Weird.

I want to download it, but I have a weird urge not to. Like it feels like it will dirty my RHEL system. Weird.
    What? Valve, or the nVidia driver? I have used both the nVidia and the nouveau drivers on numerous systems. Trust me, the nVidia ones are much better (still)! However, if you want to stay "pure", as in no proprietary or non-FOSS cruft on your system, then stay with nouveau. Bear in mind that it has limitations that the nVidia drivers do not. I would like to see all nVidia drivers be FOSS, but I also understand why they aren't (don't give the store to the competition). In any case, I have always been able to communicate with nVidia engineers about problems, but honestly, for the past 4 years or so, I haven't encountered any! And, now that they support dkms, one of my last kvetches about their proprietary drivers (needing to install after every kernel upgrade) has gone away.

Just Joined!
    Alrlight Rubberman, you have convinced me. nVidia driver time. I paid for the graphics card, I might as well get the hardware to use it!

Just Joined!
    Now how to install steam on redhat...
    Last edited by absal0m; 03-09-2013 at 05:01 PM.

No how to isntall steam on redhat...
    Now that's something I can't help you with! But I'm sure I can come up with some useless advice...

Just Joined!
    I was pretty excited about Steam on Linux, but the only games available are either old or very simple/low quality. Let's hope for great things to come!