Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm trying to setup an intranet server (samba, VPN, FTP, apache, mail and SSH). I bougth the book using samba and got a samba PDC working. Does anyone know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A good server HOWTO book

Hello,

I'm trying to setup an intranet server (samba, VPN, FTP, apache, mail and SSH). I bougth the book using samba and got a samba PDC working. Does anyone know a good book about the other servers?

Thanks

Apache is hugely well documented on it's project website here, and it's the first place to turn to.

The mailserver documentation you need will depend on the mail server you intend to run. I believe that O'Reilly have several good books on the different MTAs.

SSH covers pretty much everything else. Once you have key-based ssh login working, you can use it like an ftp or vpn service - you can use sshfs (the FUSE module that provides an ssh filesystem) to mount remote directories over ssh, and you can forward service requests over the ssh channel using your ssh config, granting a vpn-like service. SSH is hugely well documented on the internet - you could do a lot worse that starting at the OpenSSH's own project man pages that are documented here.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/