Find the answer to your Linux question:
About the only thing I remember about the Boy Scouts is the uniform and S-O-S. This article caught my eye because of Hurricane Sandy. 9 Ways To Make Fire Without ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

9 ways to start a fire without matches

About the only thing I remember about the Boy Scouts is the uniform and S-O-S. This article caught my eye because of Hurricane Sandy.

9 Ways To Make Fire Without Matches by Jason Wiskerchen
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Great info Lucky. I knew about a couple of them, theorized about another, but many were new to me. Thanks for sharing.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I pack one of these on the bike.

Not only to start fire but can use it to weld small stuff also like bike chain links. I keep a back pack full of survival gear. No hurricanes or earthquakes here though we do get the occasional tornado.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    When I was young my grandparents, and the other immigrant families in the neighborhood, would stock up on certain things and put prepared food in jars,
    to be entirely ready to spend weeks at a time indoors because of massive snowfalls where the drifts would be high enough to block the door to the building.

In those days coal and kerosene were used in those three-decker houses. Today most people use gas heat or oil. Putting food in pickle jars is not
    something today's women do very much. Even though I had candles for " Sandy " I ( like most city dwellers ) am not prepared for massive Chaos.

Thanks for the link to that website Roky, I need to order some things.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

It doesn't hurt to be prepared for emergencies. Mostly here in Colorado we have thunderstorms with a few tornados, and blizzards. I have emergency heat, lighting and food.
    A few years ago we got a microburst during a blizzard that snapped off 3 power poles in a row. We were without electricity for two and a half days. We had kerosene lamps for light, a gas grill and burner for cooking, and used melted snow for flushing the toilet. We made out fine.