Find the answer to your Linux question:
If you could only have one Linux book for learning and reference, what would it be? This book would need to cover the basics for new users and at least ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

If only one Linux book, what would it be?

If you could only have one Linux book for learning and reference, what would it be?

This book would need to cover the basics for new users and at least some higher level stuff. Common services/apps would be a plus too. 1000 plus pages would be needed to cover all the basic topics and starting with new usr's. Price is no object since you'll only pick one.

I don't have one since mine are all on specialty apps like Samba or Apache etc... I would like to recommend one to others that ask so your opinions are appreciated.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    I must say i cant recall a book that covers it all.

IMO any book that does cover it all, proberly is not that good, unless it is very long and very well written.

Really, i think the point i am trying to make, is some sources of information are good for one topic, but not another.

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Then what if we cut off coverage of add on apps like Apache, Samba, mysql ect.... Then just "All Linux OS, all the Time"
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    erm... linux complete?

its actualy a few books rolled itno one (1000+ pages) covers samaba, apache, installations, confguration, users, loads more, goes from begginer to advanced.

best bit?
    it reatils for 14.99 or $19.99 depending on wherre you are. :P

(before anyone says anything, i do not work for sybex and I am not trying to do advertising for them, it just so happend that a lot of topics have come up about books on various forums, *cough*sfdc*cough* and it happens to be the book i am reading at the moment )

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Could you repost as you go along in the book to see if you still feel the same? All so what level you feel, the target audience really is?
    Dan

Just Joined!
    I will indeed. It says its for "all levels"

but i will reserve judgement ont hat when i have finished it