Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi Btw,you run FreeBSD with Gnome/KDE window managers ? or just plain/text based one? Yes, the base-install has no desktop environment or window manager installed, with no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Btw,you run FreeBSD with Gnome/KDE window managers ? or just plain/text based one?
    Yes, the base-install has no desktop environment or window manager installed, with no productivity apps. I'm currently running openbox, pypanel, rox, leafpad, and urxvt on this box. One thing that made me really happy with FreeBSD is that all the port builds worked without error.

With all the big changes that are occurring in linux, and all the fusses that are going on, I decided to test the waters a little bit to see what other options are available should they be needed. Of course, some of those changes may eventually trickle down to unix.
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Still my priority at the moment is getting optimax working on a new laptop running Siduction
    sheesh, i've never heard of either of those things...i'm losing touch.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Of course, some of those changes may eventually trickle down to unix.
    that reminds me, i've got an HP PA-RISC 712/60 Pizza Box sitting in my water heater closet.

i think at one time i had Debian Woody installed on it. i don't remember what was on it before (anybody know)? What to do with it...what to do...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks for the link,atreyu. Checked it, I was thinking about porting my ext2/3/4 based to user-space tools to FreeBSD and in the process,contribute/learn to FreeBSD. I started to like FreeBSD
    I don't know if any of you have heard of rump??

Rump allows existing kernel drivers to run in a multitude of configurations: monolithic kernel, microkernel, exokernel and others.

Bascially you can run unmodified kernel drivers in userspace. Its a NetBSD development, that has been ported to FreeBSD and Linux but is experimental on both OS's

It might be useful to you for porting your ext2/3/4 based to user-space tools.

Here are some links:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.netbsd.org/docs/rump/
    HTML Code:
    http://www.netbsd.org/~stacktic/rumpabroad.html

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    that reminds me, i've got an HP PA-RISC 712/60 Pizza Box sitting in my water heater closet.

i think at one time i had Debian Woody installed on it. i don't remember what was on it before (anybody know)? What to do with it...what to do...
    Poke the start button or anywhere on the machine with that pen, See if it jumps out at you! :P

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Poke the start button or anywhere on the machine with that pen, See if it jumps out at you! :P
    No way, man! It might be angry at me for having banished it to the closet and turn all Nite of the Living Dead Relic Computer on me.

getting optimax working on a new laptop running Siduction
    What's optimax ? I never heard of it.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Yes, the base-install has no desktop environment or window manager installed, with no productivity apps. I'm currently running openbox, pypanel, rox, leafpad, and urxvt on this box. One thing that made me really happy with FreeBSD is that all the port builds worked without error.

With all the big changes that are occurring in linux, and all the fusses that are going on, I decided to test the waters a little bit to see what other options are available should they be needed. Of course, some of those changes may eventually trickle down to unix.
    I think i need to install some desktop environment in FreeBSD. I hope package managers like apt-get/yum will be available there. Btw,FreeBSD there is lot of variants of FreeBSD are available(like netBSD,dragonfly etc) ,which more popular one ?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    I don't know if any of you have heard of rump??

Rump allows existing kernel drivers to run in a multitude of configurations: monolithic kernel, microkernel, exokernel and others.

Bascially you can run unmodified kernel drivers in userspace. Its a NetBSD development, that has been ported to FreeBSD and Linux but is experimental on both OS's

It might be useful to you for porting your ext2/3/4 based to user-space tools.

Here are some links:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.netbsd.org/docs/rump/
    HTML Code:
    http://www.netbsd.org/~stacktic/rumpabroad.html
    No,this is the first time,i'm hearing about. Thanks will look into it. A general question, how activate the FreeBSD community itself ? In terms of releasing new versions ,fixing bugs etc.
    Who leads the development here? Say someone similar to Linus?
    -----

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    What's optimax ? I never heard of it.
    It's a typo for optimus. Basically I have two graphics cards in my laptop. One Intel and one Nvidia. Normally it uses the Intel which is lower power but having installed Bumblebee, I can use optirun to use the full fat Nvidia card
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

It's a typo for optimus. Basically I have two graphics cards in my laptop. One Intel and one Nvidia. Normally it uses the Intel which is lower power but having installed Bumblebee, I can use optirun to use the full fat Nvidia card
    Okay,I never given much thoughts into graphical cards unless my system doesn't even use X. What's difference between these two cards other than intel consuming low power? When you use , Nvidia card you get good picture qualities with media player like vlc ?
    -----

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast