Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
The Intel will handle most every day things including desktop effects such as compiz and it will even run games such as Sauerbraten - with a fairly low frame rate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

The Intel will handle most every day things including desktop effects such as compiz and it will even run games such as Sauerbraten - with a fairly low frame rate (50 to 60 fps). When I need more graphical oomph then I throw things at the Nvidia which as I understand it does the rendering and calculations but the Intel still draws to the screen. Typically I have been getting 3 to 4 times the frame rate when using it!

I haven't actually tried it for media playing... yet.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    I think i need to install some desktop environment in FreeBSD. I hope package managers like apt-get/yum will be available there. Btw,FreeBSD there is lot of variants of FreeBSD are available(like netBSD,dragonfly etc) ,which more popular one ?
    FreeBSD is the most popular.

No,this is the first time,i'm hearing about. Thanks will look into it. A general question, how activate the FreeBSD community itself ? In terms of releasing new versions ,fixing bugs etc.
    Who leads the development here? Say someone similar to Linus?
    Don't know the answer to that, i have a feeling it is actually controlled by a board of members, similar to NetBSD.
    The best way to be apart of the community is joining the mailing list/s, as you will here about bug fixes and updates through that.

Also may be useful because i have a feeling that EXT2/3 may already be partially ported to FreeBSD so by joining the mailing list you may find more help and info

Out of curiosity how hard is it to port a filesystems user-space tools, never really tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    The Intel will handle most every day things including desktop effects such as compiz and it will even run games such as Sauerbraten - with a fairly low frame rate (50 to 60 fps). When I need more graphical oomph then I throw things at the Nvidia which as I understand it does the rendering and calculations but the Intel still draws to the screen. Typically I have been getting 3 to 4 times the frame rate when using it!

I haven't actually tried it for media playing... yet.
    I never played with dual graphic cards, Often I use intel . On my office laptop I got Nvidia card - but didn't find much difference so far with Fedora17.

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    FreeBSD is the most popular.

Don't know the answer to that, i have a feeling it is actually controlled by a board of members, similar to NetBSD.
    The best way to be apart of the community is joining the mailing list/s, as you will here about bug fixes and updates through that.

Also may be useful because i have a feeling that EXT2/3 may already be partially ported to FreeBSD so by joining the mailing list you may find more help and info

Out of curiosity how hard is it to port a filesystems user-space tools, never really tried it?
    Yes,will be subcribing to their mailing lists soon.Porting file system userspace tools shouldn't very hard,but at the same 99.5% it won't work as easy as we think.
    There may be few things handled differently depending the OS/Distribution.If we consider the file system layout itself,there won't be any change but for example,/etc/mtab is slightly different in Fedora compared to openSUSE. If your program,reads mtab file you need to be little careful. For FreeBSD,I assume there is no /etc/mtab file at all,so need to figure way to get those output in FreeBSD specific manner. And there may/will be library issues,that needs to be resolved.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Trusted Penguin
    There may be few things handled differently depending the OS/Distribution.If we consider the file system layout itself,there won't be any change but for example,/etc/mtab is slightly different in Fedora compared to openSUSE. If your program,reads mtab file you need to be little careful. For FreeBSD,I assume there is no /etc/mtab file at all,so need to figure way to get those output in FreeBSD specific manner.
    FWIW, on recent Fedora/RH systems, the /etc/mtab file is now a symlink pointing to /proc/mounts which itself is a link pointing to /proc/self/mounts, which is under kernel control. On older RH (e.g., EL4), the /etc/mtab is created via the rc.sysinit initialization script.

I never played with dual graphic cards, Often I use intel . On my office laptop I got Nvidia card - but didn't find much difference so far with Fedora17.

Yes,will be subcribing to their mailing lists soon.Porting file system userspace tools shouldn't very hard,but at the same 99.5% it won't work as easy as we think.
    There may be few things handled differently depending the OS/Distribution.If we consider the file system layout itself,there won't be any change but for example,/etc/mtab is slightly different in Fedora compared to openSUSE. If your program,reads mtab file you need to be little careful. For FreeBSD,I assume there is no /etc/mtab file at all,so need to figure way to get those output in FreeBSD specific manner. And there may/will be library issues,that needs to be resolved.
    Kool, may give it a go. I have always liked JFS so may try porting it.

Also just for interest sake, FreeBSD has pretty good binary compatibility with Linux.

You can run most things through it, though i would double check.

Link:
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/linuxemu.html

Sorry for the delay. Thanks atreyu,for pointing out the recent changes in mtab.I wasn't aware of it.
    SL6-A1000,Yes looks pretty interesting , I was trying to do something related to FS with freebsd. I'm quite familiar with ext-based file system.I'll give a try with those first.

What the interesting file system problem currently FreeBSD provides? Any thoughts on them ? (for example file replication, dedup , metadata or journalling mirroring etc )
    And also i came across this yesterday : FreeBSD Foundation Donations
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Trusted Penguin
    I just installed FreeBSD myself yesterday (in a VM) so I'll be checking out filesystem and other stuff, too. Today I had fun getting pkg_add to work...

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    I just installed FreeBSD myself yesterday (in a VM) so I'll be checking out filesystem and other stuff, too. Today I had fun getting pkg_add to work...
    Which version ?Does it have Gnome/KDE desktop ?
    -----

oz
    forum.guy
    Does it have Gnome/KDE desktop ?
    Yes, it does... FreeBSD has pretty much the same things available for it that Linux has. I've not tried compiling any of the big DE's though, so can't say how long the compile times might be. My personal setup is made up of the lightest apps I could find that would do the job.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Yes, it does... FreeBSD has pretty much the same things available for it that Linux has. I've not tried compiling any of the big DE's though, so can't say how long the compile times might be. My personal setup is made up of the lightest apps I could find that would do the job.
    Pretty quick if your using ports or pkgsrc binaries. No slower than using DEB or RPM in Linux.

FreeBSD like the others has GNOME 2.30, but i think it is possible to upgrade to GNOME 3 if you want (not sure how).

It generally takes me about 1:30 hrs to get NetBSD or DragonflyBSD with a GNOME setup installed from scratch. If that's any guide.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast