Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Haven't you heard? Windows is dying, too! But these snotty new upstarts called Android (ahem.."Linux"..ahem) and iOS (cough..."BSD"...cough) are taking over the world!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Trusted Penguin

Haven't you heard? Windows is dying, too! But these snotty new upstarts called Android (ahem.."Linux"..ahem) and iOS (cough..."BSD"...cough) are taking over the world!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Haven't you heard? Windows is dying, too! But these snotty new upstarts called Android (ahem.."Linux"..ahem) and iOS (cough..."BSD"...cough) are taking over the world!
    LOL... yeah, I do think the marketing folks would like for all computer users to believe the desktop is dead so that they can sell more mobile devices, but I personally don't enjoy using mobile devices at all. I have a 7" tablet that I toyed with for a week or two, then into the closet it went and it has remained there for a couple of years now. I also very much dislike using my iPhone that usually stays on a shelf or desk somewhere out of the way, and never on me. The truth is, when I get away from computers, I want to remain clear of them for a while and free to do other things.

The next thing you know, some people will be having them implanted in their heads so that they never have to be without them!
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    On the other hand, maybe it's always going to prove itself to be a stubborn laptop...
    I do hope so. The others are less frustrating but somehow less fun
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Yes, it does... FreeBSD has pretty much the same things available for it that Linux has. I've not tried compiling any of the big DE's though, so can't say how long the compile times might be. My personal setup is made up of the lightest apps I could find that would do the job.
    I think I already about UI earlier in this post. I was expecting FreeBSD with Gnome or KDE comes with iso format.I hope it should work fine with my 64-bit Virtualbox

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post

It generally takes me about 1:30 hrs to get NetBSD or DragonflyBSD with a GNOME setup installed from scratch. If that's any guide.
    I like DragonflyBSD ,seems like they are implementing a new file system 'hammer'. May be I'll install both Dragonfly and FreeBSD on my virutal box.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    I installed an older version, 7.3, to trouble-shoot a particular program. I installed a text-only environment, but I do see the GNOME packages (version 2.32) and KDE packages (version 4.8.4) in the FreeBSD repository for 7.3 here:

Index of /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/All/

so they should only be a pkg_add away.
    Thanks, I'll first try with pkd_add,if that didn't work i'll go with src code.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

BTW,anyone here using FreeBSD with Virutual Box ? If so whats your network configuration for the guest FreeBSD os ? Seems like I have issue with networking in FreeBSD while other guest-os on same virutal box works properly
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    I think I already about UI earlier in this post. I was expecting FreeBSD with Gnome or KDE comes with iso format.I hope it should work fine with my 64-bit Virtualbox
    From what I've read, FreeBSD gets along fine with Gnome 2.x, but not so much with 3.x, and the hangup supposedly has a lot to do with networkmanager. Of course, what I've read could be in error.

Since I'm not a fan of Gnome 3, any such shortage of functionality doesn't get in my way at all.
    oz

LOL... yeah, I do think the marketing folks would like for all computer users to believe the desktop is dead so that they can sell more mobile devices, but I personally don't enjoy using mobile devices at all. I have a 7" tablet that I toyed with for a week or two, then into the closet it went and it has remained there for a couple of years now. I also very much dislike using my iPhone that usually stays on a shelf or desk somewhere out of the way, and never on me. The truth is, when I get away from computers, I want to remain clear of them for a while and free to do other things.

The next thing you know, some people will be having them implanted in their heads so that they never have to be without them!
    Personally i don't see how the desktop will die. I mean their is such a huge market for the desktop, not to mention alot of companies that have based themselves on desktop products for people and companies that like to build their own computer. i.e. making computer cases, power supplies, fans etc. Not to mention a rather large population of people that still prefer the desktop over a tablet or laptop (me being one of them).

I can see the desktop market shrinking and possibly changing a little as laptops and tablets increase in popularity, but dying out and becoming extinct i cannot see happening.

Companies aren't about to start offering components to build your own tablet or laptop not without huge expense to the company. lol And what about all those companies that rely on high powered desktops with CPUs and/ or graphics cards for data crunching, CAD and/or graphics design etc?? Unless i am mistaken but i don't see laptops being sold to employees and databases with 1TB of RAM or with the latest Nvidia Quadro/ Telsa GPU not to mention the server processors.

lol it just doesn't sound realistic or feasible

I like DragonflyBSD ,seems like they are implementing a new file system 'hammer'. May be I'll install both Dragonfly and FreeBSD on my virutal box.
    Just for far warning the HAMMER filesystem doesn't perform so well in a virtual machine. They haven't fixed that side of it up yet (i believe they are working on it). Bare metal is the way to go for HAMMER FS if you really want to test it out.

BTW,anyone here using FreeBSD with Virutual Box ? If so whats your network configuration for the guest FreeBSD os ? Seems like I have issue with networking in FreeBSD while other guest-os on same virutal box works properly
    Did you configure FreeBSD's network settings when you installed or after installation?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Personally i don't see how the desktop will die. I mean their is such a huge market for the desktop, not to mention alot of companies that have based themselves on desktop products for people and companies that like to build their own computer. i.e. making computer cases, power supplies, fans etc. Not to mention a rather large population of people that still prefer the desktop over a tablet or laptop (me being one of them).

I can see the desktop market shrinking and possibly changing a little as laptops and tablets increase in popularity, but dying out and becoming extinct i cannot see happening.

Companies aren't about to start offering components to build your own tablet or laptop not without huge expense to the company. lol And what about all those companies that rely on high powered desktops with CPUs and/ or graphics cards for data crunching, CAD and/or graphics design etc?? Unless i am mistaken but i don't see laptops being sold to employees and databases with 1TB of RAM or with the latest Nvidia Quadro/ Telsa GPU not to mention the server processors.

lol it just doesn't sound realistic or feasible
    Right... I can't imagine trying to be productive using a tablet at the workplace. Maybe the idea will be feasible someday, but certainly not now, at least not for me!
    oz

Right... I can't imagine trying to be productive using a tablet at the workplace. Maybe the idea will be feasible someday, but certainly not now, at least not for me!
    Sure you can it will be just like trying to type on your iphone or whatever "smartphone" you have.

Just hope you don't have fat fingers or are little uncoordinated otherwise it might take 10mins to write one sentence (when you keep pressing several letters at once) or you might be in command...

In which case i just hope you don't have to use the rm command and happen to push enter instead of backspace.

Trusted Penguin
    BTW,anyone here using FreeBSD with Virutual Box ?
    Yeah, I've got a FreeBSD-7.3-RELEASE KVM guest installed on a RHEL 6.0 box.

If so whats your network configuration for the guest FreeBSD os ? Seems like I have issue with networking in FreeBSD while other guest-os on same virutal box works properly
    What kind of VM software are you using?
    What kind of networking issues are you having?
    Is the BSD box supposed to use DHCP or static IP?
    What have you done so far to get networking up on the BSD box?
    Note that KVM uses dnsmasq and iptables to do a lot of the ip management of VM guests, so you may have to look at that setup.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast