Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
It's been quite a few years since I last ran one of the BSD's, so over the weekend, I decided to give FreeBSD another spin, and I'm posting from it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Fun with FreeBSD

It's been quite a few years since I last ran one of the BSD's, so over the weekend, I decided to give FreeBSD another spin, and I'm posting from it now. The base-install from the boot-only installation disk was super-fast, and was done in about 15 or 20 minutes. The post-installation of the various ports that I wanted and then the configuring and tweaking of the system itself took the better part of a full day.

While I'm not giving up CRUX, or Arch just yet, it has been fun playing around with FreeBSD again. I used Clonezilla to create a disk image of the new installation so that it's easy to get back to a fresh system should I mess things up while continuing to tinker and tweak.

Should any of you decide to give it a go, I'd be interested in hearing what you think about it.
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    Oz,

Funny, you are posting this. I was just reading up on FreeBSD this morning, considering the same thing - wondering what I would think of it, compared to Linux. I've never installed/used it myself, but I know some hard-core old school devs who swear by it. Jc, what is the default DM?

Cool , Just last week,I downloaded FreeBSD 9.x and trying to learn/play with it for the first time on my virutal box. But some issues with VBox setup - Will try again later tonight.

@oz,does FreeBSD support ext2,3,4 file systems?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    does FreeBSD support ext2,3,4 file systems?
    This article is one of the things I came across this morning, and mentioned that very thing:

Comparison of open source operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems that ext2 and ex3 = yes, and ext4 = no, but I defer to oz and his actual FreeBSD system!

Thanks for the link,atreyu. Checked it, I was thinking about porting my ext2/3/4 based to user-space tools to FreeBSD and in the process,contribute/learn to FreeBSD. I started to like FreeBSD
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

oz
    forum.guy
    That's correct, it doesn't currently support ext4, but does have support for ext2, etc3, fat, and ntfs filesystems. My FreeBSD system is using the ufs filesystem, with an attached large external storage drive that's using FAT32 at the moment.
    oz

Code:
    but does have support for ext2, etc3,
    does that means i can use them as my root partition ? or it needs to be external drive ?

ps:Right now,I'm installing freebsd in VBox ,but i couldn't find anything other than ufs during partitioning!
    -----

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Code:
    but does have support for ext2, etc3,
    does that means i can use them as my root partition ? or it needs to be external drive ?

ps:Right now,I'm installing freebsd in VBox ,but i couldn't find anything other than ufs during partitioning!
    I'm pretty sure you'll need to run your FreeBSD system on ufs, but it can read and write to other ext2/3 drives and partitions. Note that I've never tried installing on anything but ufs, so I could be wrong about having to use it for your system.
    oz

ok thanks for the info. Now installation completed (seems like no window manager installed ) , it uses ufs as root partition. Will try to mount ext2/ext3 partitions and lets see. Btw,you run FreeBSD with Gnome/KDE window managers ? or just plain/text based one?
    -----

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I haven't tried BSD in a fair old while. I remember quite liking it but it was only ever an experiment so never made it to real iron. I may have to give it another go when my test rig is freed up. Just to see how far it's come along you understand.

I built Gnome 2 for it the last time so it was very familiar in that respect.

Still my priority at the moment is getting optimax working on a new laptop running Siduction
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast