Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Found the link to the in house fighting. Gentoo Fights Flamewars and Bad Behaviour...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Found the link to the in house fighting.
    Gentoo Fights Flamewars and Bad Behaviour
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the link - it looks like that all happened 6 years ago, so it just goes to show that once something becomes unraveled, it's very hard to ever get it back together just the way it was...
    oz

For the record, I did run Funtoo for a while, but drobbins started making it "difficult" to use anything that he didnt' think was the best, so I left. Some of his tools are just awesome, but for the most part, I like the way Gentoo works better.

I now run Gentoo ~amd64, and I don't have any problems with broken updates and the like. It has improved 100% from what it was 2 or 3 years ago. Every once in a while there is an update that doesn't update, but it is usually fixed the next day. My gentoo system has a lot of custom stuff from me though, and that may or may not help.

One thing about gentoo though, is that any distros documentation should apply for the most part. It really doesn't need wikis or manuals, because as long as the program is documented, it should work.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    In my mind, Gentoo has always been one of the better documented distributions, but the following comments would apply to all Linux distributions.

I generally find end-user contributed wikis to be better than no documentation at all, and of course some open wikis are much better screened and maintained than others, but whenever it's available, I prefer official documentation such as official handbooks and manual pages where the devs themselves author it, or they appoint someone to author and maintain it on their behalf. Such documentation generally seems to be more accurate, and gets updated more regularly.

In the case of end-user contributed wikis, I'm afraid the "help seekers" far out number actual contributors in most cases and the user that's there in search of help is often not knowledgeable enough to correct, update, or add technical information, or they wouldn't be there looking for help. Once they've accomplished the task at hand, they may be able to correct errors and add additional information but many are often in a hurry so they move on the other tasks, leaving the wiki as is. Then there are those open wiki authors that are technically minded and knowledgeable, who take it upon themselves to routinely enter new articles, and to screen current content for accuracy.

In the end, I believe I can speak for everyone and say that all worthy contributions to either type of documentation are much appreciated.
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2