Find the answer to your Linux question:
If you're a bleeding edge Fedora thrill-seeker w/no regard for stability, the beta has been released: http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-prerelease It is IaaS/Cloudy and MATE-inclusive . More on MATE and a picture of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Trusted Penguin

Fedora 18 beta released

If you're a bleeding edge Fedora thrill-seeker w/no regard for stability, the beta has been released:

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-prerelease

It is IaaS/Cloudy and MATE-inclusive.

More on MATE and a picture of stacks of F18 media here.

oz
    forum.guy
    It's really interesting that they are including MATE!

Of course, I can't and don't blame any desktop user for preferring it over the Gnome 3.x environment...
    oz

Linux Engineer
    Nice, thanks for the heads up. Been waiting for this release. Now if I can only find the time to play around with it.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Of course, I can't and don't blame any desktop user for preferring it over the Gnome 3.x environment...
    Yeah, and from what I've read, the GNOME devs are actually eating crow and planning more changes to GNOME in the future that hearken back to the glory days. One thing I remember reading about is making the "log out" feature more persistent, which I remember being something you were battling.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle
    Been waiting for this release.
    No doubt. It has been way behind schedule. I hope they didn't totally jack it all up w/their major Anaconda/installer changes...

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Yeah, and from what I've read, the GNOME devs are actually eating crow and planning more changes to GNOME in the future that hearken back to the glory days. One thing I remember reading about is making the "log out" feature more persistent, which I remember being something you were battling.
    I'm thinking that a gnome "desktop environment" and a separate gnome "mobile devices environment" would be the way to go, but apparently they want to put it all in the same package. Personally, I find trying to use a mobile devices environment on a desktop to be overly annoying and cumbersome, but one thing for sure, it will all work itself out in the end, one way or another.
    oz

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    I'm thinking that a gnome "desktop environment" and a separate gnome "mobile devices environment" would be the way to go, but apparently they want to put it all in the same package. Personally, I find trying to use a mobile devices environment on a desktop to be overly annoying and cumbersome, but one thing for sure, it will all work itself out in the end, one way or another.
    I agree, and I think you speak for the majority of the GNOME once-fanbois-turned-haters out there. I use G3 every day, but only b/c I've "dumbed" it down and made it look and behave nothing like a giant iPhone splayed across my desktop. As a wildly active dev group with a full head of steam, I'm really worried it will never be what the community really wants ever again...oh, the irony of it all.

Linux Engineer
    I'm test driving this puppy now in Virtual box. Mouse integration in the installer is nice

I posted some screenshots on my blog for your view pleasure:
    Fedora 18 Beta Screen Shots and Review

I opted for Gnome3 for now, as I was reading there were problems with Mate (or Cinnamon?) from the install DVD as the beta ISO doesn't have a fix applied that the net install media does.