Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok where do I start Just installed Ubuntu 12.10 last night and it sort of works...So here goes 1) I'm using a standard 17" screen as my HD monitor is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ok where do I start Just installed Ubuntu 12.10 last night and it sort of works...So here goes 1) I'm using a standard 17" screen as my HD monitor is fooked so the sidebar I've had to hide but it's a pain to get back...though a few nudges with the mouse it's there...seems like too much effort!!! 2) I need Skype and downloaded it from somewhere but it's not there 3) things disappear of the sidebar after being installed like VLC player...4) The ctrl alt T when I paste commands in they don't run...yes I did paste them all in first time but doing it properly still results iin a whole pile of noooooos...I want Linux to work and want to get rid of Window completely I love what Linux is so I'm not giving up...I'm dual booting with W7 given Linux 30GB of HD the PC is an i3 quad 4GB ram and 1TB HD so please anyone who can help would be much appreciated G

Linux Engineer
    Things are not done the same in Linux as in Windows when it comes to installing software, so keep that in mind

Here's a link to how to install Skype the Ubuntu way:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Skype

If you're having display issues, consider installing the non-free video card drivers.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Video

Just Joined!
    Thanks Mizzle didn't think anyone would get back to me so fast...Yes I know new OS and things are going to be different...But when looking at you tube I think I've downloaded a version that isn't working properly...I'll give it a try many thanks again Garth

Linux Engineer
    For newer users, I personally recommend 12.04 over 12.10 because 12.04 is a 'long term support' or LTS release. It should be a little more stable, and will include most features (if not all, I don't know, not a big Ubuntu fan) of 12.10.

Just Joined!
    Ok 12.04...I know Quantal Quetzal is new but it's building on an already stable platform...even Windows...mmmm maybe not get your drift back to XP so to speak