Find the answer to your Linux question:
Actually I'm pretty annoyed. I was lurking in the official Slackware Forum (the one on Linux Questions) and I saw that there was a new E17 package, specially built for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I may need a new name for Slackbody

Actually I'm pretty annoyed. I was lurking in the official Slackware Forum (the one on Linux Questions) and I saw that there was a new E17 package, specially built for Slackware 14. So I downloaded and installed it, and now my E17 desktop won't come up. It's looking for a specific function which I've tracked down to the Elementary package (that's E17's widget toolkit, sort of like gtk or qt) and can't find it. Obviously Enlightenment and Elementary have got out of step.

I could just install a different desktop while E is sorting itself out, but that creates a problem. You see, the Slackbody project derived from three roots:
    1) I wanted to experiment with Slackware
    2) I wanted to create my own Linux, building it up from the beginning, starting with libc.
    3) I wanted revenge on Bodhi Linux for screwing up my hard drive when I tried to install it.

I originally wanted to install Bodhi because it was touted as a sleek, minimalist distro with an unusual UI that was both fast and beautiful (two things that don't usually go together). When it messed me up, I thought "Screw you, I'll make my own Bodhi, only I'll base it on Slackware rather than Ubuntu". And so I made Slackbody.

Now if I change the desktop and it doesn't look like Bodhi any more, I'll need a new name. Any ideas?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Since you named the first, which was designed to look like Bodhi, Slackbody, which sounds like slack-bodhi, use the same logic on the next one. What is it going to be derived from or look like? If ubuntu, call it slacktu or UbuSlack, OpenSuse, call it Slacksus or OpenSlack, etc.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Panic over! This version of enlightenment is still alpha software; I just downloaded and installed a slightly later version and that bug has gone.

If I really couldn't use e17, I think I would have switched to Fluxbox. I certainly wouldn't want any setup of mine to look like Ubuntu. Unity? Ugh!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"