Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, Ok so i have recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 alongside Debian Wheezy because i have always been curious/ interested in the Unity Desktop. As surprising as it may be I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu 12.10 Unity Opinions?

Hey, Ok so i have recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 alongside Debian Wheezy because i have always been curious/ interested in the Unity Desktop.
    As surprising as it may be I am actually really enjoying using Unity, finding it relatively to easy to use and configure with out it getting in the way. Especially since i can now get compiz working without it screwing everything up. Can finally disable having a second launcher on my secondary monitor, so very annoying as the mouse would always get stuck trying to move between the monitors. Also runs alot smoother than when i last tried Ubuntu which was 11.10. Now if only i could run on it Debian alongside the MATE DE i would be extremely happy.
    What do others think of it? Obviosuly provided you have tested or are currently running it. Not after the usual Desktop debate of why X or Y is better than Z.
    Last edited by SL6-A1000; 12-06-2012 at 01:25 AM.

I'm not a fan of Unity. But I've noticed that it has been getting a little better over time. Others here may remember similar disdain when KDE went from 3.x to 4. (Not a personal fan of KDE, but I still try to keep pace.)
    I'm actually quite happy to hear that Unity is coming along and, from your comments, making progress in getting away from the busy mouse-heavy environment that it started out as.
    But I like the look of Unity. And I'm hoping that it will come far enough along that folks can use it... either by KB or mouse work.
    Let us know how your experiences with it go.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

The last ubuntu I liked was 10.04. It went off the rails after that, but it seems to be getting better a little at a time. Maybe I'll go back to it with 14.04.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close